Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help

Robinson78580

Apologies - didn't spot this till now.

He's definitely wearing the crossbelt badge of the Robin Hood Rifles ....

1008779456_SherwoodForesters(NottsDerbyshireRegiment)1stNottsRVC7thBtn(RobinHoodRifles)crossbeltbadgeDNWLot74606Dec2017.jpg.06c1fb6c0e30f579d9582447c9de8ee5.jpg

© Dix Noonan Webb

The Robin Hood Rifles element is shown in the ЯHR initials inside the roundel.

Up until end 1891 they were titled 1st Nottinghamshire Rifle Volunteer Corps, as per the above example.  In 1892 there was a minor change from Rifle Volunteer Corps to Volunteer Rifle Corps.  I do not know whether the badges were changed to reflect this.

In 1881 they became the 3rd Volunteer Battalion, Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment), but they retained their title until the formation of the TF in 1908, when they became the 7th (Robin Hood) Battalion, Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment).

I speculate (but have no hard evidence) that from 1908 the crossbelt badge would be more like the Rifle Brigade-style cap badge Frogsmile has posted - i.e. a Maltese Cross inside a simplified laurel wreath NOT the KRRC-style plain Maltese Cross.  I stress this is only a speculation.

The KRRC reverted back to the rifle busby in 1890 replacing the Home Service helmet.  I'd say there's a good chance the various rifle volunteers still using rifle uniform etc. would do so around then or later.

That gives a few pointers to dating the image.

Mark

Here is the RH waist belt clasp, which was also of an unusual design.

WBC.jpg

Pre-WW1.jpg

7th RH post card.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Frogsmile/Craig thank you. 

Back to my book it lists all regular badges but not TF\yeomanry! 

21 hours ago, MBrockway said:

In 1881 they became the 3rd Volunteer Battalion, Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment), but they retained their title until the formation of the TF in 1908, when they became the 7th (Robin Hood) Battalion, Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment).

I speculate (but have no hard evidence) that from 1908 the crossbelt badge would be more like the Rifle Brigade-style cap badge Frogsmile has posted - i.e. a Maltese Cross inside a simplified laurel wreath NOT the KRRC-style plain Maltese Cross.  I stress this is only a speculation.

The KRRC reverted back to the rifle busby in 1890 replacing the Home Service helmet.  I'd say there's a good chance the various rifle volunteers still using rifle uniform etc. would do so around then or later.

I will check what happened to Monmouth Regiment, 1st(Rifles) battalion uniform. During the great war they continued to use the rifle label and in 1914 had a Rifle Brigade adjutant. 1st Mons being part of "The Corps of the South Wales Borderers" it's a bit deuce odd as the cap badge  is a Dragon and I can not place any "rifleness" with Mons post  1908. There is a uniform at Brecon museum similar to the OP photo for 1st Mons that may yield some clues. 

1 hour ago, Scalyback said:

I will check what happened to Monmouth Regiment, 1st(Rifles) battalion uniform. During the great war they continued to use the rifle label and in 1914 had a Rifle Brigade adjutant. 1st Mons being part of "The Corps of the South Wales Borderers" it's a bit deuce odd as the cap badge  is a Dragon and I can not place any "rifleness" with Mons post  1908. There is a uniform at Brecon museum similar to the OP photo for 1st Mons that may yield some clues. 

The 1st Battalion tried to retain its Rifles tradition with black buttons and shoulder titles and a silver coloured dragon badge, but the supply chain was not able to maintain that appearance and GS buttons became common.

E90E958C-66FF-47BB-81B1-86E3096FA996.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Nice photo - another unit to add to our list of black rifles buttons!

Edited by MBrockway

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The 1st Battalion tried to retain its Rifles tradition with black buttons and shoulder titles and a silver coloured dragon badge, but the supply chain was not able to maintain that appearance and GS buttons became common.

E90E958C-66FF-47BB-81B1-86E3096FA996.jpeg

Nice photo with Imperial service badge. Is there a name to him? 

What I found strange 1st Mons recruited from very urban working class areas, where Brecknock recruited from more rural middle class area. Given army snobbery at the time I would think Brecnocks fighting for the rifle heritage not Mons. 

Frogsmile I have a few volunteer questions for you, i will join and pose them on Victorian forum.

His name was Walter Henry Coombes and he was taken PoW early in the war at 2nd Ypres, and survived to be repatriated.

Edited by FROGSMILE

6 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

His name was Walter Henry Coombes and he was taken PoW early in the war at 2nd Ypres, and survived to be repatriated.

Thank you. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still at a loss on trying to ascertain who the soldier is in my photograph. Does anyone have any pointers on how to try and find out. I've had a look through quite a few books of the sherwood foresters and battalions however have had no luck and I have no other ancestors photos either to see if any are a good match. 

5 hours ago, victoria said:

I'm still at a loss on trying to ascertain who the soldier is in my photograph. Does anyone have any pointers on how to try and find out. I've had a look through quite a few books of the sherwood foresters and battalions however have had no luck and I have no other ancestors photos either to see if any are a good match. 

He is definitely a member of the Robin Hood Rifles, Victoria.  Do you have any names to refer to?  You would really need to research battalion muster rolls from National Archives and match them with any of your known names.

5 minutes ago, victoria said:

so it wouldn't be Robert Thomas Bramwell from 1/6 Bn Sherwood Foresters 240558/2390 then? If not I will research the muster rolls 

It is quite possible that he served initially with the 7th Notts & Derby (Robin Hood Rifles) and then was later posted to the 6th Battalion, Victoria.  Muster rolls will hold the answer.  I’m afraid there are no short cuts.  These men were effectively seen as small cogs in a very big machine.  The largest army that Great Britain has ever put into the field by a considerable margin.

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

It is quite possible that he served initially with the 7th Notts & Derby (Robin Hood Rifles) and then was later posted to the 6th Battalion, Victoria.  Muster rolls will hold the answer.  I’m afraid there are no short cuts.  These men were effectively seen as small cogs in a very big machine.  The largest army that Great Britain has ever put into the field by a considerable margin.

Thank you for getting back to me I will have a look at these battalions 

14 hours ago, victoria said:

Thank you for getting back to me I will have a look at these battalions 

You may well find some useful information to guide your search  at this link: http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2011/08/sherwood-foresters-1st-2nd-battalions.html?m=1

Although the detail is primarily about the 1st and 2nd Battalions (and you are seeking someone from the 7th and 6th Battalions) there are helpful hints as you scroll down.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 2 years later...
On 29/09/2018 at 11:05, Scalyback said:

1st Mons held on to their rifle heritage to the end. They eventually became Royal Artillery.

Check out Sir John Mills, 1908-2005 | Wedding day (theguardian.com) 

Yes, Sir John Mills! 1st Mon's post 1922 cap badge with Rifle's battle honours, black rifles buttons and royal artillery collar badges. this belongs to 68th (Monmouthshire Regiment) Searchlight Regiment, Royal Artillery - Wikipedia.