Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RND assistance required

Rockturner

Chaps,

Just doing some work on the RND at Anzac from available books, Len Seller's booklets and various files accumulated over the years.

But sadly this part of Anzac story is sadly lacking in detail verging on neglect.

Firstly, can anyone tell me what the strengths of the RMLI and Naval Battalions or any of the smaller units.. That is, a  Battalion, Company, Platoon and Section.

Secondly, does anyone have an accurate list of the 'N' transports which brought the two brigades to Anzac on the 28th and 29th April.

Thirdly, is there a full list officers commanding and the subalterns for each company for the Chatham's, Portsmouth's, Deal's and Nelson's.

Some names do appear but not all so full lists are welcome.

It's interesting stuff which adds much when woven into the ANZAC story, but some way to go yet.

I'm open to any information anyone may wish to provide in the spirit of getting it right and getting it out there.

Thanks

LonerangerVC

War Establishment for RND Battalions was around 1,000 (30 officers = 977 ORs).  Fighting Strength varied hugely. A nominal platoon strength was around 55, comprising 4 sections of around 12-13 men. Company strength (4 Companies A-D, each comprising 4 platoons) was around 230-240.

The four RND battalions landed at Anzac disembarked from: HMS MINNETONKA - Nelson Bn; HMT ALNICK CASTLE - Deal Bn; HMT GLOUCESTER CASTLE - Portsmouth Bn; HMT CAWDOR CASTLE - Chatham Bn. [Not sure what an "'N' transport" is.]

There is no comprehensive list that matches battalion officers to platoons and companies. The following Nelson Bn list may be helpful:-

Nelson Bn company commanders were: Lt Cdr Tom L Price RNVR - A Coy; Lt Cdr Mungo C Gibson RNVR - B Coy; Lt Cdr John E Nichol C Coy; Lt Cdr Hubert C Evans RNVR - D Coy.

Battalions COs can be obtained from the Navy Lists but for Anzac, Apr/May 1915: Lt Col EG Eveleigh RMLI - Nelson Bn; Lt Col RN Bendyshe RMLI (acc killed at Anzac 01/05/15); Lt Col C McN Parsons RMLI - Chatham Bn; Lt Col FW Luard RMLI (kia 13/07/15)- Portsmouth Bn.

Beyond that, Navy Lists record the officers serving in each RND battalion and you can match the names against their RND records to see if a more detailed appointment is noted there (eg platoon/company commander).

Edited by horatio2

Thanks Horatio,

I have the 'N' numbers and it seems both the Chatham's and Portsmouth's were close to half strength when they landed at Anzac.

Indeed both brigades appear to have been below full complement when they landed, not unlike the !st Australian and NZ and Australian Divisions.

It is interesting to read the comments from the men of RND whilst at Anzac as they saw things through their eyes and it does add some colour to the Anzac story.

In the case of the Portsmouth Battalion, it looks like they received exactly the same treatment from the Turks up around 400 Plateau as the Australians did in terms of rifle, machine gun and artillery fire which is reflected in their casualty figures. I am sure that as we get closer to the weekend and time permits other members will contribute as they are able.

Regards

LonerangerVC

Two men from my village (Thames Ditton in Surrey) died with the R.N.D. at Gallipoli - a R.N.V.R. Lieutenant in the Hawke Battalion, and a Chatham Battalion Royal Marine.  As I am just putting the finishing touches to a book commemorating all the village war dead, I have a fair amount of information on both of them - including details of the action in which the Hawke Battalion officer was mortally wounded.  I'm not sure if you are looking for material on individuals, but if you are, then post back and I will be happy to give you a summary.

It’s a pity you don’t need this information for the Collingwood Battalion as I have a document with a comprehensive list of the Battalion Officers and which companies and platoons  they commanded. I don’t believe any other RND Battalion had such a datailed Record.

On 27/09/2018 at 00:05, Rockturner said:

it seems both the Chatham's and Portsmouth's were close to half strength when they landed at Anzac.

Is there a reference for this statement, please? All RMLI battalions had been "raised to their war establishment of approximately 1000 all ranks" by the end of January 1915 before deploying to the MEF [Blumberg pp 127 & 135]. Where and how had they lost 50% of their strength?

Rockturner,

following H2's suggestion, there is much useful information to be had from Blumberg's history and it can be accessed online here 

http://lib.militaryarchive.co.uk/library/Miscellaneous-Volumes/library/Britains-Sea-Soldiers-A-History-of-the-Royal-Marines-1914-1919/HTML/index.asp#/151/zoomed

The actions of Nelson Battalion RND are covered in 'Nelson at War 1914-1918' by Captain Roy C. Swales BSc, RN rtd. [ISBN 1 84468 018 5] published in 2004 by Pen & Sword Select

Good luck with your research

Michael

Thanks to all who have responded. It is still work in progress but I understand now that the story of the RND at Anzac cannot be told unless it is interwoven with the Anzac side of the story in terms of the relief and support. Therefore one side enhances the story of the other and I believe  I am doing it justice.

LonerangerVC

I can supply Arthur Gaskell's History of the Medical Unit of the Royal Naval Division from its inception to the evacuation of Gallipoli, if medical unit and chaplaincy strength is of any interest (drop me a private message including your e-mail and I'll send it - can't post it here as it's too large).

sJ