Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching Marie Martin VAD

oak

Colleagues,

I am researching Irish VAD Marie Martin. In late 1915 and early 1916 she served in Malta, in a converted barracks on a peninsula overlooking St. Georges Bay on the northern shore of the island, about six or seven miles from Valetta. I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me in which VAD detachment Marie Martin served and any further information about the hospital.

Marie left Malta in late April 1916 and returned to Ireland for about a month. She was then posted to No. 25 General Hospital at Hardelot, where she served for about 6 months. I would also be grateful for any information on No. 25 General Hospital.

On both of her postings she served with a VAD whom she called "Miss Paul" in her letters. I would be very grateful if anyone could give me Miss Paul's first name and any information about her.

It may be of interest that I am writing the third part of an article entitled "The Cross and the Sword: Marie, Tommy and Charlie Martin in the First World War" The first two parts have been published in "The Blue Cap", the journal of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association.

Regards,

Philip

Colleagues,

I am researching Irish VAD Marie Martin. In late 1915 and early 1916 she served in Malta, in a converted barracks on a peninsula overlooking St. Georges Bay on the northern shore of the island, about six or seven miles from Valetta. I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me in which VAD detachment Marie Martin served and any further information about the hospital.

Marie left Malta in late April 1916 and returned to Ireland for about a month. She was then posted to No. 25 General Hospital at Hardelot, where she served for about 6 months. I would also be grateful for any information on No. 25 General Hospital.

On both of her postings she served with a VAD whom she called "Miss Paul" in her letters. I would be very grateful if anyone could give me Miss Paul's first name and any information about her.

It may be of interest that I am writing the third part of an article entitled "The Cross and the Sword: Marie, Tommy and Charlie Martin in the First World War" The first two parts have been published in "The Blue Cap", the journal of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association.

Regards,

Philip

I believe that VAD records are available.

Some years ago I obtained information about the VAD nurse who owned an autograph book that I have.

IIRC I contacted the Red Cross somewhere near Guildford, Surrey.

I am sure that other forum members can give you exact details.

My interest and research is on serving female casualties of WW1 so I have no biographical information on Marie Martin. I do, however, have "Britain's Civilian Volunteers" by Thekla Bowser (she was a casualty) in which there is an eight page chapter on the V.A.D. work in Ireland. Not particularly enlightening but it is there. In addition I have For Dauntless France" by Laurence Binyon which lists British subjects who are recorded as having gone abroad on Red Cross and kindred war work for the French up to the end of 1917. There is a Miss M. Martin listed as also a Mrs C.S.J. Paul. May not be your ladied but then again they might.

Thank you Pete and BeppoSapone,

I should have said in my posting that Hardelot is in France. Hello Jim, I see that you are keeping up the good work. I think that you have found my two VADs on the listing for France and you have now given me Miss Paul's initials. Well done mate!

Kind regards,

Philip

Jim,

On second reading I note that the listing you quoted contains a "Mrs" Paul, rather than a "Miss" Paul, so alas, it must not be the same person.

Regards,

Philip