Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Western Front Battles

Chris Boonzaier

Hi,

I am less of a "Historian" and more of a "Collector"... but I am doing my best to fix that ;-)

I have mentioned before that I am working on a book about award documents for the Iron cross 1914-18.

I would like to arrange the infantry ones according to Front/Battle/Sector and was wondering what the best breakdown would be.

The Thoughts I had (and I am sure there will be errors in the following) were as follows

1) 1914 war of Movement

2) Flanders

3) Somme

4) Champagne

5) Verdun

6) Alsace Lorraine

Off the top of my hat, those would be the main categories.

They would be divided into subsectors (Arras, Vimy, Chemin des Dames etc etc.)

Now, this is where I am a bit weary.

Is there anyone who feels confident enough about their western front skills to have a go at helping do a good breakdown? I am sure (at least...I hope..) I am not the only one who would benifit form a good breakdown of what was where on the western front.

Something alont the lines of

1)1914 war of movement

a) Alsace

b ) Marne

c) race for the sea

etc. etc.

Thanks for reading

Chris

Chris - on the British side you will find a very good list of battles and their subsidiary actions as designated at end of war on Chris Baker's LLTrail .... the timeline and 'nomenclature' is very useful.

Get you a bit of the way?

If you've already done that feel free to give me a cyber slap. ;)

Des

Hi Des,

Thanks, that is a start. A bit more than I need, but I can simplify it all (I hope!).

Moving a bit eastwards, I admit, to my shame, that with the exception of Verdun and St Mihiel all the following ..Chemin des Dames, Aisne, Reims, Champagne etc. all into a collective "French sector" pot. Is there a simple breakdown of that that you know about?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

Will this do for 1915

First Battle of Champagne 20th Jan -17th March

Second Battle of Artois 9th May -18th June

Action near Hebuterne 7th-13th June

German attack in Argonne 20th June -24th July

Third Battle of Artois 25th Sept - 15th Oct (lull between 28th Sept and 11th Oct)

Seconded Battle of Champagne 25th Sept - 7th Oct.

Annette

Super, that is a great start.

Is there a siht where they are listed? I have not found one yet?

Thanks again

Chris

Here is an idea. Go to abebooks.com, and in the search box enter "reichsarchiv". Look for books in the "schlachten des weltkreiges" series, volumes of a German semi-official history. The volumes are relatively small (pretty much a battle each) and might give you a logical break up of the fight from the German perspective.

It is remarkable that the Germans paid much more attention to the French fronts as the British, who seems to have an equal interest in France and Flanders. Maybe because the British had lless frontline in France (compared with the Germans?)

Erwin

Here is an idea. Go to abebooks.com, and in the search box enter "reichsarchiv". Look for books in the "schlachten des weltkreiges" series, volumes of a German semi-official history. The volumes are relatively small (pretty much a battle each) and might give you a logical break up of the fight from the German perspective.

Hi,

Have them all but am trying to set up a one page list that will put everything in perspective.

I find it all to easy to dive into the books and concentrate on details, loosing an overview of the big picture.

All the best

Chris

Hi Chris

I got my list from the British Official History which gives a simple time line. Here is 1917.

Affair of Maisons de Champagne 15th Feb.

German attack at Bezonvaux (not sure if this was French front ?) 4th March

Roye occupied by French 17th March

Noyon occupied by French 18th March

Second Battle of Aisne 16th - 20th April

Battle of the Hills (Champagne) 17th - 20th April

Resumption of offensive on the Aisne and in Champagne 4th - 9th May

There is more but run out of time will post more tomorrow (as long as I do not forget :( )

Annette