Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Connaught Rangers( edit- or Irish Hussars ??) Oct 1914- what rank badge?

charlie962

This poor copy photo (I will get a better copy soon) was taken probably 2/10/14 when the 1st Bn Connaught Rangers were en route Marseilles-Orleans with the 7th (Ferozepore) Brigade in 3rd (Lahore) Division.

I say it is Connaught because they were the only Irish Bn in the 2 Indian Divisions that came up from Marseilles in Oct 1914. Please correct me if I am wrong. I say 2nd Oct because that's what the Connaught War Diary says.   (Edit- Perhaps  Irish Hussars cap badge)

The badge above his sergeant's chevons seems to be a harp with crown above, much like the cap badge. Can an expert please tell me what it might be ?- or should I wait until I get a better photo? My follow-up question will be to see if one can ID the man- moustache is rather fine. Given that a couple of men in the group wear medic armbands, might he be a musician?

When the trains came up from Marseilles they seem to have attracted a number of artists and photographers at different stops along the route and the centenary seems to be flushing out a number of previously unseen images. Apparently it took 154 trains to transport the two Indian Divisions.

894264960_Roll1914Irish1b.jpg.009c5358294f7d174778804f406f7e18.jpg                                   

Charlie

( I haven't given up on the BlackWatch piper- different station)

Edited by charlie962
changed my mind about cap badge !

Wonder if it is a Bandsman badge Charlie seeing as the man behind has a redcross on it... My understanding then as is still meant to be the case today, us bandsman act as bearers or orderlies when on operations. 

As well as providing music to regimental dinners in forward positions......😆... Aka the very odd sight I had flying in a Chinook over Helmand with the Band of the Royal Irish Rifles in tow! 

Andy 

Thank you for your replies but do I detect a degree of uncertainty ?

The badge is much clearer in the original photo I saw. Perhaps it must wait until I have a better copy.

Charlie

Charlie, for reference, A couple of CR bandsman and drummers below, shows they used to wear the band tradee badges mid sleeve even as Privates.  Cannot 100% be sure for WW1 or variations in Regt Dress codes, but generally an NCO's trade badge would be worn on top of or above the chevron. 

Personally....(sorry Craig) I think it is too big for CSM crown. 

Andy

Screenshot_20180923_230945.jpg

Screenshot_20180923_231004.jpg

Thank you both. I see you both like the same photo! So could the man be a sergeant bandmaster or something like that? ie with sergeants stripes and that large bandsman's badge above? I thought that his sleeve badge looked abit like a harp witha crown above. Is that likely?

charlie

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a better image of that Connaught Rangers sergeant's arm badge  Edit  - He might be North Irish Horse ??

242151185_Rollinat1914Irish1b.JPG.eea378b607203e68231fda601d8230a4.JPG

Edited by charlie962

7 minutes ago, HolymoleyRE said:

Bingo! 

Problem- I've edited post because I now think he has North Irish Horse capbadge ! I will post detail.

I'm out of my depth- there are 2 similar badges - North Irish Horse and 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars, and maybe more that are similar ? I hope the arm badge is the decider.

Here is the original capbadge  and 2 possibles

IrishCapbadge1.JPG.75cd7f3ed6dd2bc5865cb077839dcd5e.JPGIrishCapbadge3.JPG.6317a7ba223361d665edcaf08b1ddca6.JPGIrishCapbadge2.JPG.85593a08a36c691459fe414d6b89caa0.JPG

Edited by charlie962

30 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Here is the original capbadge  and 2 possibles

The original cap badge appears to have two tones of metal similar to the Hussars. 

10 minutes ago, HolymoleyRE said:

appears to have two tones

Thnks Andy. The arm badge seems to confirm 8th KRIH. That regiment didn't arrive Marseilles until 10th November 1914 so I now have a confusion of dates. But in the photo it is now clear he is in a group with varying cap badges so perhaps he did not travel with his regiment. I will look further now I have a better photo.

Charlie