Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RMS Leinster spittoon? Made from artillery??

depaor01

Evening all,

I was at a library exhibition today and I was shown this photo of an item that is presumed to be a spittoon from the RMS Leinster and allegedly made from an artillery shell. The head Librarian took it as she was told. However I am dubious about it being former artillery and some others who viewed it are also not convinced it's made from a shell. I don't see a primer for starters, and the brass looks a little thick.

Would love an expert opinion.  It's a photo of a photo and I haven't seen it in the flesh but may be able to soon.

Thanks,

Dave

20180922_223412.jpg

20180922_223346.jpg

25 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

Evening all,

I was at a library exhibition today and I was shown this photo of an item that is presumed to be a spittoon from the RMS Leinster and allegedly made from an artillery shell. The head Librarian took it as she was told. However I am dubious about it being former artillery and some others who viewed it are also not convinced it's made from a shell. I don't see a primer for starters, and the brass looks a little thick.

Would love an expert opinion.  It's a photo of a photo and I haven't seen it in the flesh but may be able to soon.

Thanks,

Dave

20180922_223412.jpg

20180922_223346.jpg

Dave,

By no means an expert opinion, but gut instinct, as yours, is dubious, but does have a feint circle where a fuse could have been filled/milled flat.

Low and wide capstan type shape shape that would that would suit naval purposes , but looks manufactured  as opposed to converted.

Nice piece of history, hope somebody better informed can shed light.

Dave.

Dave.

Edited by Dave66
Typo

• 3 weeks later...

That ring on the base looks to be a turning mark from a lathe and - as deparo01 notes - the walls as thick.

So a custom made spittoon... BUT, looks a bit small for a proper 'bar-type' spittoon - maybe a 'spit-cup'?

14 hours ago, trajan said:

That ring on the base looks to be a turning mark from a lathe and - as deparo01 notes - the walls as thick.

So a custom made spittoon... BUT, looks a bit small for a proper 'bar-type' spittoon - maybe a 'spit-cup'?

Thanks for that Trajan and welcome back. Good point about the size. It would be impossible to hit accurately at the distance required (head to floor!) Also interesting about the lathe mark.

Whether it is or isn't,  remembering the events of 100 years ago today.

Dave

1 hour ago, depaor01 said:

Whether it is or isn't,  remembering the events of 100 years ago today.

Amen to that. The son of our vicar, Lt Anchitel Boughey of the Rifle Brigade, was one of the casualties of the sinking.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

I also have visited the National Maritime Museum of Ireland at Dún Laoghaire and viewed the spittoon. I was led to believe it was an item in regular use in one of the lounges of RMS Leinster and therefore unlikely to be made from a shell case. We have a brass jug at the Holyhead Maritime Museum from her sister ship RMS Munster. It is made from heavy gauge brass similar to the spittoon and also marked in a very similar way. The stamp 'CDC' could refer to City of Dublin Company - a shortening of City of Dublin Steam Packet Company.

For a definitive answer I would defer to member 'Oak'.

Thanks brhillier. I am aware of the Holyhead commemorations but missed your post as the View Unread Content tends to drop contributions.

Interesting that there's a similar artefact over the Irish Sea. Much appreciated. 

Dave

The brass jug from RMS Munster. Notice the similarities with the stamping, particularly the 'T".

IMG_1350.jpg