Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

soldiers' effects war gratuity

stephen binks

It's no good; it will NOT go in!

Could some kind sole have a look at this soldiers war gratuity for me and give me an idea of when he enlisted. (The soldier is S/28426 [should be 3/28246] David John Jones 4/SWB). From a little number crunching of his RWF number (SDITGW), I think its November 1914, but very happy to be corrected.

Many Thanks

Stephen Binks

soldiers effects.jpg

Let's take a look,

They're very oddly done on that page so I can see the chance of confusion. They've, helpfully, not made it clear whether it's type 1 or type 2 - type 1 however would given an 'impossible' figure so it must be a type 2 war gratuity (he's on the cusp with the death of where the calculation process was changed).

Using my online calculator gives:

image.png.5700b471ccc17efa8fab4dcf067d777e.png

https://wargratuity.uk/war-gratuity-calculator/

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

His RWF number was #2760 according to SDGW.

The SWB numbers look to be from Aug 1916 so it may be possible that he had a break in service at some point (which could explain some oddities). Any idea which RWF battalion he was in ?

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Craig

Thanks for the info on war gratuity. I did a number crunch on soldiers of the rwf with similar numbers and think he was in the 6th or 7th. However he did not serve Overseas with the rwf according to his mic, although couldn't find him on the service medal and award roll register.

Steve

22 minutes ago, stephen binks said:

Craig

Thanks for the info on war gratuity. I did a number crunch on soldiers of the rwf with similar numbers and think he was in the 6th or 7th. However he did not serve Overseas with the rwf according to his mic, although couldn't find him on the service medal and award roll register.

Steve 

I noticed 7th Bn men with similar numbers from Aug 14 - is this is correct then it looks like he had a break in qualifying service at some point of 4 months or so.

#28466 was issued 30 Aug 16 so #28426 would be earlier that same month.

Aug 16 - Sep 18 would give 25 months and leave us 20 months service. If he attested Aug 14 then this give us a 4 month or so break from qualifying service somewhere in the middle (possibly April 16 to Aug 16).

Do we know what area Jones was from ?

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Craig,

We know so little of his background. He is commemorated on the Old Colwyn Memorial but we have been unable to trace him on the census of 1911 or 1901, as we don't have his parents name or an address. SDITGW gives him as living in Old Colwyn and his enlistment as Colwyn Bay; nothing unusual in this. The name on the gratuity is not known and the address given on the headstone inscription document is for a "Mrs. Jones" and Roberts of Colwyn Bay; this may be his mother or wife!

Steve

I don't think he was married as his will left the monies to his mother, Grace (as per the effects, 'Mo and Sole. Leg' , "Mother and Sole Legatee").

This is a possible one - https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBC/1901/0033678464

His will is available (indexed under a wrong number ) - https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Wills?Surname=jones&SurnameGrants=jones&YearOfDeath=1918&YearOfDeathGrants=1918&IsGrantSearch=False&IsCalendarSearch=False&sort=FirstName&sortdir=DESC&page=11#soldiers

I find the details in the wills can often give subtle clues which can crack a case.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252