Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AVC position in France in 1915

gsfmabe

Hi, I am trying to trace my husbands great grandfather William Richard Higgs ( DoB 22.12.1875 - Berkshire) SE11486. We have found on Ancestry two medal roll index cards. He seemed to have been discharged as Sick in 1917 after going to France and may have had a field promotion from Private to Acting Sgt during that time. Any information would be gratefully received. When he came home he also joined the Berkshire Police Special Reserve.

• Admin

Hello and welcome to the forum.

The SE/ in his number means Special Enlistment (General Service).  Unfortunately the AVC, as you have no doubt found, is very difficult to research.  He was probably employed as a groom or worked with horses on a farm in civilian life and there was a recruiting campaign to attract men experienced with horses to the AVC early in 1915.  They were not expected to fight and therefore did not undergo infantry training, though they had to learn how to care for horses the 'army way'.  They underwent basic training at Woolwich but were posted to France relatively quickly.

Near number sampling suggests he was recruited around the middle of August 1915 and joined the BEF as shown on the medal roll on the 5th October 1915. Men in the AVC were often given temporary promotions, or acting ranks to give them the authority to ensure horses were properly cared for.

When in France he could have been posted to any AVC unit, or attached elsewhere, for example an ammunition train.  

There is more information on the AVC on the parent site the Long Long Trail http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/army-veterinary-corps-in-the-first-world-war/

which also has information on researching a soldier.

Ken

Thank you kenf48.

I am also trying to trace the movements of my husband's grandfather (on this mother's side of the family) Francis Charles Harvey (06.10.1893) joined as a boy soldier at 14 years and 4th months on 27th Feb 1908. We have his service record and I am struggling to decipher it, so I am not sure if his service number is 50350 or 211997 in the RFA. He too was posted to France.  Where could I find more information about his whereabouts during that time please?

Many thanks

Georgie

• Admin
On 21/09/2018 at 19:20, gsfmabe said:

I am also trying to trace the movements of my husband's grandfather (on this mother's side of the family) Francis Charles Harvey (06.10.1893) joined as a boy soldier at 14 years and 4th months on 27th Feb 1908. We have his service record and I am struggling to decipher it, so I am not sure if his service number is 50350 or 211997 in the RFA. He too was posted to France.  Where could I find more information about his whereabouts during that time please?

Both numbers are correct.  He was originally in the Royal Field Artillery and numbered 50350 originally landing in France on the 11th September 1914 with the 12th Brigade RFA.  He was later transferred to the Royal Garrison Artillery and renumbered 211997.  As he is on the 14 Star Rolls for the RFA I suspect the transfer occurred after the Roll was prepared on 14 Much 1918.  I can't find a service record online for him.

You might do better to post separately as it will attract the attention of the artillery experts who will be able to help you more than I can.  In the meantime there is information on the 12th (Howitzer)  Brigade on the LLT

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-royal-artillery-in-the-first-world-war/batteries-and-brigades-of-the-royal-field-artillery/xii-howitzer-brigade-of-the-royal-field-artillery/

You can download the Brigade war diary from TNA http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352312

Ken