Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Map Quest - Loos, Y Ravine Somme & 1st Passchendaele

Malcolm12hl

I have now completed my centenary memorial book on the war dead of Thames Ditton, Surrey (a project in which I received extremely helpful assistance from a number of GWF members - for which I remain very grateful), and am now helping the publisher (the parish church) with illustrations.  To this end, I am looking for images of trench maps relating to three of the most significant actions on the Western Front in which multiple village men fell:

26 September 1915 (2nd day of the Loos offensive) - 8th Buffs & 9th E. Surrey, 72 Brigade, 24 Division - between Hulluch and Loos

1 July 1916 (1st day of the Somme offensive) - 1st Border, 87 Brigade, 29 Division - Y Ravine, Beaucourt Ridge

12 October 1917 (1st Battle of Passchendaele) - 7th Buffs & 8th E. Surrey, 55 Brigade, 18 Division - north of the Lekkerboterbeek

If anyone can help, I would ideally like the maps in pdf, jpeg or tiff format, as this is what the printer wants to work with.  If there are file size problems, then let me know and I will send you my email address by PM.

Once again, I will be very grateful for all assistance - the results achieved in this project have far exceeded my expectations thanks mainly to the help of all of you.

A good selection of all these to high resolution are on the WFA Mapping the Front DVDs, notably the Secret edition of the British area for Loos in 1915.

Howard