Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniforms,arms, insignia, medals

tonycad

I have the Silver War Badge of a private in the Royal West Kents, who enlisted on

11th September 1914. He was discharged on 21st January 1919, when he was described as 'Surplus to Military Requirements: under Para. 392. XXV.(a)'

As several men were discharged on the same day, do I presume correctly that his discharge was due to 'cessation of hostilities', rather than illness.

The question arises, therefore, were all men discharged normally after the end of the War entitled to the SWB. If so one, of the reasons for the SWB that former soldiers could be recognised in civilian clothes, was no longer applicable.

Can a Pal help with this?.

Tony

The question arises, therefore, were all men discharged normally after the end of the War entitled to the SWB.

Those Demobilised: ie Class "Z", were placed on the Reserve so were by definition Not "Discharged" as such but "Disembodied",& there is were the difference lies,only those whose "Discharge" was Complete in that they had no further duty for Military Service would have been eligible for the Badge,which served a purpose beyond the "White Feather" aspect ,as it was also meant to assist in post war Re~Employment etc;

Gents,

It is my understanding that 'Regulars' were discharged and Territorials were disembodied?

Certainly all the MICs I have for those who ended up on the Class Z Reserve show them as "Disch to Class Z......"

Regards

Steve