Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
squirrel

A few days on the Western Front...

Recommended Posts

squirrel

Journey to the Western Front 8th to 12th September 2018

The places we visited and remembered...

Boulogne East Cemetery – Suffolks casualty

Abbeville Communal Cemetery and Extension – London Irish Rifles casualties

Forrest of Compiegne – Last train to Buchenwald August 1944     

and signing of the Armistice November 1918

Oulchy le Chateau Communal Cemetery Extension – Wes Yorkshire Regiment casualty

Hargicourt British Cemetery – Rifle Brigade casualty

Warloy-Baillon Communal Cemetery – Honourable Artillery Company attached London Irish Rifles and London Irish Rifles casualties

Sun Quarry Cemetery – Canadian casualty

Somme – Auchon Villers, Sunken Road, Jacob’s Ladder

Notre Dame de Lorette Memorial – Queen’s, Suffolk’s and South Lancashire Regiment casualties

Loos Memorial – Suffolk’s Casualty

Loos London Irish Rifles Regimental Association Centenary Memorial

St Mary’s Advanced Dressing Station Cemetery

Bedford House Cemetery

Ploegsteert Memorial

Christmas Truce Memorials

Fromelles – VC Corner, Australian Memorial

Le Trou Aid Post cemetery

Spanbroekmolen Crater

Leper – Menin Gate

Leper – town memorials

236704019_NewZealandMemorialMessinesSeptember2018.JPG.719d31a26e404563f2437f559cdb1cfc.JPG581294925_OulchylechateaucommunalcemteryextensionSeptember2018.jpg.cc90098f6c28c76df3bc679c6e6a1473.jpg1337058256_LIRAmemorialLoosSeptember2018.thumb.JPG.07ad03729a8cf3cc769d334de4bc78ea.JPG

 

                                                          

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marilyne

Nice trip !!!

 

Where was the second pic taken???

I don't think I ever went there ...

 

Marilyne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fattyowls
58 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

Where was the second pic taken???

 

I was thinking exactly the same thing, and I'm also impressed with the itinerary. Oulchy-le-Chateau looks favourite to me; I've been across the area but don't know it well.

 

Good one Squirrel.

 

Pete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pighills

Nice mix of places.  Love the photos, especially the one with the church, don’t know why though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marilyne
52 minutes ago, Pighills said:

Love the photos, especially the one with the church, don’t know why though.

 

I guess the same for all of us: it's the contrast between the old church that has apparently not been touched by the war that gives the graves a sort of quietness and serenity.

Pity for the angle though... the sun was on the left and it was around noon??? there are nearly no shadows  ....

If I ever visit, I'd take the pics early morning...

 

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don Regiano
2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

 

I was thinking exactly the same thing, and I'm also impressed with the itinerary. Oulchy-le-Chateau looks favourite to me; I've been across the area but don't know it well.

 

Good one Squirrel.

 

Pete.

 

Spot on Pete, it is Oulchy.  I took a number of photos when visiting the grave of 2Lt F A Sproston, 7 Cheshires who dow on 30 July 1918 (CWGC incorrectly states 6 Cheshires).  He was one of the Manchester & County bank guys we were researching.  Took several pictures of the cemetery and individual graves as it was a long journey south we had undertaken (we visited Jonchery the same day)

 

Reg

 

 

DSC04389.JPG

DSC04436.JPG

DSC04383.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fattyowls
9 hours ago, Marilyne said:

 

I guess the same for all of us: it's the contrast between the old church that has apparently not been touched by the war that gives the graves a sort of quietness and serenity.

Pity for the angle though... the sun was on the left and it was around noon??? there are nearly no shadows  ....

If I ever visit, I'd take the pics early morning...

 

M.

 

....and knowing your favoured techniques lying flat or crouching I assume. But if they come out like the blue and orange Bedford House ones I think it would be worth the early start.

 

8 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

Spot on Pete, it is Oulchy.

 

Good photos Reg, what a lovely setting.

 

Pete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
squirrel

Oulchy le Chateau about 2.30 pm Sunday 11th September. It was very bright, you can tell by the glare on the white school wall, temperature about 29c.  

Not clouds in the sky but degrading contrails. The church was built in 1076.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fattyowls

I thought there was a bit of Romanesque round arch activity going on. Overall that's quite a trip even taking four days; respect.

 

Pete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seaJane

Ooh I like a bit of round arch I do. 

Great photos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
r.m.willis
On 16/09/2018 at 13:44, Don Regiano said:

 

Spot on Pete, it is Oulchy.  I took a number of photos when visiting the grave of 2Lt F A Sproston, 7 Cheshires who dow on 30 July 1918 (CWGC incorrectly states 6 Cheshires).  He was one of the Manchester & County bank guys we were researching.  Took several pictures of the cemetery and individual graves as it was a long journey south we had undertaken (we visited Jonchery the same day)

 

Reg

 

 

DSC04389.JPG

DSC04436.JPG

DSC04383.JPG

 

I was lucky enough to visit in June. It’s a huge shame the area doesn’t receive more British visitors.

 

69F4482A-88A5-4FBE-8770-09D0A6449D97.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...