Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Old Contemptibles' Association

AndrewThornton

I visited St Patrick's Church, Wigan this week - and photographed the board listing the members of the local Old Contemptibles. It is in the Memorial Chapel of the church, but not on display. It would be good to know a bit of its history.

DSC06594.jpg

That's fantastic. The Wigan Branch didn't send Branch Reports for publication in The Old Contemptible so information from that source is very sparce indeed. Some of the unusual surnames will be easily traceable from the 1914 Star Roll, but it's a shame that the units the individual Chums had served with weren't recorded as that would have given some clues. However the 1939 Register could also unlock some information as well. 

Chum Tom Arthur Hicks served with "B" Company, 2nd Battalion, The Duke of Edinburgh's (Wiltshire Regiment), his regimental number was 8594. Chum Hicks died on 11 June 1951. It's a shame that his memorial plaque was removed from his grave but at least it is cared for in the museum of his former Regiment. 

• 2 weeks later...

How can I find out if our Birmingham relatives were part of the Old Contemptibles Assoc - we looked when we visited the great unwashed in Edmund St but found nothing . Names are J Fairbrother, R Allen and J Perry if anyone can advise please.  Fascinating article which I will read again and keep for our younger family members

21 hours ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

How can I find out if our Birmingham relatives were part of the Old Contemptibles Assoc - we looked when we visited the great unwashed in Edmund St but found nothing . Names are J Fairbrother, R Allen and J Perry if anyone can advise please.  Fascinating article which I will read again and keep for our younger family members

There was a Chum J. Allen in the Branch in 1936, formerly Royal Garrison Artillery, and Chum J. J. Perry, ex-Royal Field Artillery. I haven't come across any Fairbrothers in the Birmingham Branch as yet but there were two in the Coventry Branch at various times.

I couldn’t see R Allen or J Prey mentioned and I truly don’t know if they were involved.  Reg was Birmingham born n bred and in the Dorsetshire Regt and John a Coldstream Guard also a Brummie.  Both my husbands grandfathers.  I have posted elsewhere on them.  It just would seem to me they were the sort to be a Chum.  The Fairbrothers were Reg’s brother in laws. Next time were go the Contemptibles pub I will have a look at the photos in more depth it is hard at times when people are sitting and blocking the view and I dnt like to move them so I can see haha. 

I am afraid that although there are a handful of photographs on display in The Old Contemptible with names on they do not have a complete nominal roll of the Birmingham Branch. Two Branch Memorial Rolls are known to survive - one held at Royal British Legion County Headquarters in Birmingham and the other in store at the Council House. The Branch records however do not survive. I do have a nominal roll for the Birmingham Branch that was published in The Old Contemptible in four parts during 1936, as well as additional names from earlier and later years - about 400 in total. I am also working on a nominal roll of Chums of all Branches of the Association at the moment and have recently published Part One of this, which contains the names of 3,000 Chums. Part Two is being prepared and will contain the details of a further 3,000 Chums, and a third instalment is planned. Because of the fragmentary nature of the available records, it is unlikely that a complete list of Chums will ever be produced. Based on the number of badges issued during the lifetime of the Association somewhere between 40,000 and 50,000 men (and one confirmed lady Chum) were members between 1925 and 1975.

• 2 months later...

I have not long returned from a short visit to Oxford.

Whilst there, I called into St Michael at the North Gate Church in Ship Street. I was pleasantly surprised to find an "Old Contemptibles Association" standard hanging with a couple of other military Association standards. It was in pretty good condition for it's age, and looks well looked after. 

I've been collating information regarding Branch Standards (and King's Colours that were also carried by some Branches) and so far have information regarding over 100 of them, with images. It is quite interesting finding out what has happened to them over the years. 

IMG_20200213_100318.jpg

IMG_20191010_104107.jpg

IMG_20190924_122442.jpg

IMG_20190923_082654.jpg

• 10 months later...

First post here but I was staring at my bookcase wondering what to read next and picked up a copy of African Trilogy by Alan Moorehead and found this inside. A quick internet search brought me here and I thought it may be of interest.

Kevin.

IMG_4158.JPG

IMG_4159.JPG

IMG_4160.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Two images relating to the same Chums event - meeting of the Chorley Old Contemptibles Association Branch at the town's War Memorial - Astley Hall - in August 1928. One is from the Flickr site, sent by Wayne Christie, who states that his Great Grandfather is on the photograph, and the other a newspaper report via local historian Stuart Clewlow of the reunion, with a list of those in the photograph. As some of the front row are identified as Officers from the Blackburn Branch, it may be that it is a joint reunion.

4378936017_1a3df7f9ff_o.jpg

Chorley Contemptibles Aug 1928.jpeg

Hello Alison

Whilst it might not help you much, try to have a look at their medal index cards, which are available online, either on the TNA website or the WFA website if you are a WFA member. If there is a date earlier than 23.11.14 opposite the 1914 Star box, they were qualified to join the Old Contemptibles (though they may not have done so), but if there is a later date, or no date at all, they were not. The OCA were very strict about that.

Ron

• 1 year later...

Hi PatWaldoHan here.

Re list of Old Contemptible badge holders.

My grandfather James W Hannan served in Boar War. In Duke Wellington West Riding Regiment. 

As aka James W Instone he served in Cold stream guard's during great war.

His Old Contemptible badge is number 3483 could you tell me if he registered his real name.

Thanks

Pat