Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Old Contemptibles' Association

AndrewThornton

There have been several posts, over many years, regarding aspects of The Old Contemptibles' Association and their membership - the Chums. I have recently posted this article on my blog, based on research I have been doing for many years, which might be of use to members of the GWF and may provide some answers and sources of information for further study. The link for the article is provided below: 

https://ourwar1915.wordpress.com/2018/09/13/in-search-of-the-chums-the-surviving-legacy-of-the-old-contemptibles-association/

You might like this photo, thought to be in Brixton. My grandfather 4th from right, back row was an Old Contemptible, once of 1st Middlesex.

The IWM have (had?) a good collection of the Old Contemptible' Association journals, I read a number of them about 5 years ago after which they were vacuum packed to “preserve” them. Mind you, that method does not work if they tip them into the skip.

Howard

Chums.jpg

2 hours ago, AndrewThornton said:

There have been several posts, over many years, regarding aspects of The Old Contemptibles' Association and their membership - the Chums. I have recently posted this article on my blog, The link for the article is provided below: 

https://ourwar1915.wordpress.com/2018/09/13/in-search-of-the-chums-the-surviving-legacy-of-the-old-contemptibles-association/

Many thanks for posting Andrew. 

I thought the Blazer badge might be of interest, and wondered if you had any information on the Social Club badge?

391.jpg

OCB.jpg

Old Cs Wives.jpg

That is a fantastic photograph, Howard. What was your Grandfather's name? 

With regard to the IWM holding a complete run of The Old Contemptible, I can only assume this to be the case as it is still listed as such on their website. I do, however, have a small collection of copies that I have purchased from book dealers over the past couple of years that were in the collection of the IWM and were disposed of, I assume as they were duplicated in the collection. These copies still have the IWM stamp and yellow barcode stickers on them that show their origin.

I don't have any further information on the badge to the Wives' Social Club. I have seen references to wives being referred to as 'Chumesses' and Branches of the Association did keep in close contact with widows of Chums and provide them with support, such as Christmas Hampers and the like. I can only assume the badge was unofficial and was manufactured at the instigation of a single Branch. You never know, I may come across some information that may confirm when and why it was made in a local newspaper at some point.

Marvellous, Andrew! Added to my tablet home page for a leisurely read...

Thanks for sharing!

Bernard

1 hour ago, AndrewThornton said:

That is a fantastic photograph, Howard. What was your Grandfather's name? 

With regard to the IWM holding a complete run of The Old Contemptible, I can only assume this to be the case as it is still listed as such on their website. I do, however, have a small collection of copies that I have purchased from book dealers over the past couple of years that were in the collection of the IWM and were disposed of, I assume as they were duplicated in the collection. These copies still have the IWM stamp and yellow barcode stickers on them that show their origin.

He was Albert Allen, picture here http://1stmiddlesex.com/index.htm.

I love his Old Contemptible's badge, worn every day and polished every week. Collectors like crisp, good as new ones, I don’t, this polished one shows pride and achievement.

Sadly the IWM have disposed of large amounts of stuff. Much has gone up the chimney, lost, mis-indexed or not indexed at all. Whilst a volunteer there I rescued a box of hand drawn maps that were seconds away from going in the general rubbish.

Howard

Old Contemptibles Association lapel badge.jpg

Edited by Howard

12 hours ago, Howard said:

He was Albert Allen, picture here http://1stmiddlesex.com/index.htm.

I love his Old Contemptible's badge, worn every day and polished every week. Collectors like crisp, good as new ones, I don’t, this polished one shows pride and achievement.

Sadly the IWM have disposed of large amounts of stuff. Much has gone up the chimney, lost, mis-indexed or not indexed at all. Whilst a volunteer there I rescued a box of hand drawn maps that were seconds away from going in the general rubbish.

Howard

Old Contemptibles Association lapel badge.jpg

Who makes the decision to throw / destroy items in the museum?????

5 hours ago, ForeignGong said:

Who makes the decision to throw / destroy items in the museum?????

I wish I knew then they could be taken to task. There are contributory factors.

1. The government banned museums from holding duplicate items so all the duplicate maps (the bit where I was working) were thrown out. We, the WFA, suggested we take them, that was refused. We suggested they were given to the Charles Close Society. No. The decision was to get a scrap paper merchant. We volunteered to be that merchant. No. This was 62 map sized boxes, each 5” high full of maps. Scrapped.

2. A lot of stuff in the museum has been on racks for years and never accessioned, that is why I would never donate anything.

3. Stuff in mis-indexed.

4. They decided to separate maps and reports years ago, the indexing is so poor that any connection was lost.

5. Items are taken from the collection, cut up for display them discarded. We found maps with squares cut out etc.

6. Whole collections are split up, e.g. all the items load by Douglas Haig’s widow, some were thrown away, probably by accident but have landed up quite legally in private collections.

“Care of history”? What a laugh. A FOI request on the state of the Haig collection would be interesting. So would one on maps hand-drawn by the Prince of Wales, he who became Edward 8th.

Howard

21 hours ago, AndrewThornton said:

I don't have any further information on the badge to the Wives' Social Club. I have seen references to wives being referred to as 'Chumesses' and Branches of the Association did keep in close contact with widows of Chums and provide them with support, such as Christmas Hampers and the like. I can only assume the badge was unofficial and was manufactured at the instigation of a single Branch. You never know, I may come across some information that may confirm when and why it was made in a local newspaper at some point.

Thank you.

The two badges came from a junk shop, together with an unpolished chums badge, No. 1268. I only found the number today

They were from a local house clearance.   ( Tywyn, Gwynedd - West Midlands retirement! )  

Chum. 1268.jpg

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

Thank you.

The two badges came from a junk shop, together with an unpolished chums badge, No. 1268. I only found the number today

They were from a local house clearance.   ( Tywyn, Gwynedd - West Midlands retirement! )  

Chum. 1268.jpg

I have had a quick search and there appears to have been a few Wives' Social Clubs formed within Branches. I am sure there was some official reference in The Old Contemptible to an Association directive that permitted the formation of such groups, but I haven't found one in the small collection of copies of the journal that I have. However, here are the references that I have found so far:

Portsmouth Branch: - Wives’ Social Club formed in February 1939 (Hampshire Telegraph, 24 February 1939). Another report from The Hampshire Telegraph of 18 November 1949 stated that the Portsmouth Branch Wives’ Social Club was “the only one of its kind in the country” but this appears not to be the case (see below).

Hampshire Telegraph – 11 October 1957:

“WIVES’ SOCIAL CLUB. – The Old Contemptibles’ Association Wives’ Social Club held an “At Home” at the John Pounds Memorial Hall. They were enterained by Mr Cottrell and his troupe of Scottish Country Dancers. The music was provided by Mr P. Gibbons (violin), Mr W. Smith (cello), Miss E. Tizzard (piano), and Miss P. Madin (soprano).”

Dover Branch: Wives’ Social Club mentioned in The Dover Express of 21 January 1949.

Worthing Branch: Wives’ Social Club formed in January 1937 (Worthing Gazette 27 January 1937).

As I said in my original post, my article is very much a "work in progress" and this demonstrates how much is yet to be uncovered with regard to the story of The Old Contemptibles' Association. I think it is a story worth telling.

• 2 weeks later...

What a wonderful article!

I must congratulate you on your efforts. A most enjoyable read. My Coldstream gt. grandfather would have ticked all the boxes to qualify as an Old Contemptible, but wasn't fortunate enough to survive the conflict.

I am lucky enough to have a O.C. numbered badge in my collection, and have seen and held a banner/standard for the East Acton branch. It has been rescued by a most scrupulous chap, who is keenly dedicated to preserving the memory of our soldiers who have given their lives in the defence of his country. (Belgium)

I do not see the East Acton branch mentioned in your records, but was delighted to see the small part that my local football club played in supporting the old soldiers. 

Once again many thanks for the article. 

My Grandfather Albert E Winchcombe was a member of the GWR old comtemptibles association, see pic attached, and i believe my great uncle Sidney Winchcombe was too.

20180926_164827.jpg

Edited by David Wheatley

This is a great article!!

And a very good reminder of the importance of the past!

Marilyne

On 26/09/2018 at 15:59, neverforget said:

What a wonderful article!

I must congratulate you on your efforts. A most enjoyable read. My Coldstream gt. grandfather would have ticked all the boxes to qualify as an Old Contemptible, but wasn't fortunate enough to survive the conflict.

I am lucky enough to have a O.C. numbered badge in my collection, and have seen and held a banner/standard for the East Acton branch. It has been rescued by a most scrupulous chap, who is keenly dedicated to preserving the memory of our soldiers who have given their lives in the defence of his country. (Belgium)

I do not see the East Acton branch mentioned in your records, but was delighted to see the small part that my local football club played in supporting the old soldiers. 

Once again many thanks for the article. 

The Acton (originally East Acton) Branch Standard is mentioned in my article. Presented and dedicated on 28 April 1935 and originally laid up in the Crypt of St Martin-in-the-Fields on 14 July 1974, it was disposed of by the church authorities and ended up in Belgium. Two Branch Standards that were laid up at St Martin-in-the-Fields at the same time are still unaccounted for, and the Camden Town Branch Standard may have been sold to a private collector this year, having also been laid up on 14 July 1974 and also disposed of by the church.

Sorry. I read your article from beginning to end but somehow missed the reference. 

Thanks for clarifying. 👍

I have a list of the members of the Coventry Old Contemptibles Association and their units  for what it is worth.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Is that from the Roll of Honour in the Chamber of Silence at the War Memorial Park? The last remaining Chums of the Coventry Branch each paid £3 to their branch funds in order to ensure that there was enough money to pay for a wreath to be laid there when they died. 

• 1 month later...

My father Norman Hugh Huttenbach was an Old Contemptible and in 1976 took a group of survivors (not sure how many) back to Gallipoli courtesy of the Turkish War Veterans Association. I remember him writing copious letters to raise funds to finance the trip without knowing until the last how many of the remaining Old Contemptibles would be fit enough to make the trip. He was 85 when he made the journey and died two years later. If anyone remembers their relation going on this journey with him I would love to find out more. I am researching my father’s life and have contacted the Turkish War Veterans Association and am waiting to hear from them shortly. He was an army officer of 22 years of age when war broke out and was in the BEF in Mons, then France, Gallipoli and finally the battle of Amiens. Needless to say he survived. I am the daughter of his third wife born when he was the grand old age of 62.

• 1 month later...