Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
OwenMartin

Royal Backler 320304

OwenMartin

Hi,

I am currently looking for my great granddads Ww1 medals his name is very unique Royal Backler he was born on the 18th of July 1893 in Haverhill Suffolk. He served in the Suffolk Regiment during the war but other than that I cant really find anything else about him. I would love to find out more about him and his medals as my granddad is now 93 and I want him to be able to see them again before it is too late.

if anyone has any advice on how to find them I would appreciate any help and advise.

Thanks

Owen 

Edited by OwenMartin

ss002d6252

Are you sure he was in the Suffolks ? His medal roll shows:

D/13723, Rank: Private, Corps: 3rd Dragoons Guards 

He may have been in the Suffolks and not served overseas with them.

Craig

ss002d6252
29 minutes ago, OwenMartin said:

Hi,

I am currently looking for my great granddads Ww1 medals his name is very unique Royal Backler he was born on the 18th of July 1893 in Haverhill Suffolk. He served in the Suffolk Regiment during the war but other than that I cant really find anything else about him. I would love to find out more about him and his medals as my granddad is now 93 and I want him to be able to see them again before it is too late. 

if anyone has any advice on how to find them I would appreciate any help and advise. 

Thanks

Owen 

Have you got any pictures of him in uniform.

Craig

sotonmate

Looks like there was a possible brother Walter BACKLER 6208 of 2 SUFFOLK REGIMENT, from Haverhill too, is it possible that you are confusing the unit or assuming that a Suffolk man joined the Suffolks ?

Royal's Medal Card and Roll show he was entitled to the British War and Victory Medals, Walter served before 1916 so received a 1914 Star also.

johnboy

and I want him to be able to see them again before it is too late.

I would start by asking him if he knows what happened to the medals

RaySearching

Royal's brother  James Christopher Backler  has pension papers on Ancestry Royal along with their father Christopher

are listed as next of kin The address on pension papers matches with the following 

backler.JPG.3c7e76bffaf17c00d7004e7d1fe450b6.JPG

So one can only surmise that Royal served with the  Suffolk reg  is incorrect and has been added possibly by memories failing with the passage of time

Ray

Edited by RaySearching

sotonmate

Royal's MIC has no entitlement to 1914-15 Star shown,neither did a Medal Roll for that award list.

RaySearching
1 hour ago, sotonmate said:

Royal's MIC has no entitlement to 1914-15 Star shown,neither did a Medal Roll for that award list.

Noted

The cutting (post 7) came from the National roll of the great war, which was compiled by information submitted by friends and family

so the accuracy of the information cannot always be guaranteed

Ray

sotonmate
21 hours ago, OwenMartin said:

Hi,

Thanks

Owen 

There is always a chance someone here knows of them, there used to be a thread on who has which medals in their collections. I forget which Forum it was situated in but there are quite a few listed and worth the check ! Also worth  knowing that a large percentage of BWMs were disposed of for the silver value ane melted down.

clk

Hi Owen,

32 minutes ago, sotonmate said:

there used to be a thread on who has which medals in their collections

I think that sotonmate is referring to this one - link. It might be worth joining the British Medals Forum and posting there. A bit of a long shot, but I think that it's the main UK site that collectors haunt. As to dealers, auction houses, etc I haven't really got a clue.

Good luck.

Regards

Chris

RaySearching

Royal Backler 320304

As I had 10 minutes to spare

checked out the service number in the thread title

It was allocated to Reginald Brackley   2279 / 320304  1st Suffolk Yeo / 15th Suffolk Reg

Ray