Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusual P1907

Dave66

Brought this as condition was exceptional, but there a couple of odities that make me wonder if this was downgraded and sold as a commercial piece, any ideas welcome.

pommel has no clearance hole so pre mid 1916.

Both fullers have been ground unevenly, with one closer to the crossguard.

Only two of the standard inspection stamps and no date stamp.

Scabbard is completely sterile, no markings anywhere, so possibly a commercial/volunteer piece?

Im wondering if a fault was found in the blade at final inspection, hence tha lack of both inspection and date stamp, but would they have rectified the fault and then sold these off commercially if they did not fall within the war departments peramiters?

Dave.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Dave,

Both a gorgeous blade AND scabbard!!

I think that you might possibly make a case for traces of the 3rd inspection stamp being visible; if you argue that the bayonet did not see active service (excellent condition of bayo/scabbard) then the date stamps may well have been polished away in a depot somewhere. In my experience, the date stamps are often the least deeply struck of all the markings.

The chape/locket/pommel look almost too clean, which makes me wonder if the whole bayonet was thoroughly polished either through its entire lifetime or more recently.

Do the Dimensions look OK vs. your 07’s?

Could you get an accurate weight for me?

Finally, if you cannot stand the uncertainty, just wrap in a plain brown box and mail to,

c/o Trajan/JMB, Hadrian’s Wall, 3rd fort from the North Sea.

Regards,

JMB

1 hour ago, JMB1943 said:

Dave,

Both a gorgeous blade AND scabbard!!

I think that you might possibly make a case for traces of the 3rd inspection stamp being visible; if you argue that the bayonet did not see active service (excellent condition of bayo/scabbard) then the date stamps may well have been polished away in a depot somewhere. In my experience, the date stamps are often the least deeply struck of all the markings.

The chape/locket/pommel look almost too clean, which makes me wonder if the whole bayonet was thoroughly polished either through its entire lifetime or more recently.

Do the Dimensions look OK vs. your 07’s?

Could you get an accurate weight for me?

Finally, if you cannot stand the uncertainty, just wrap in a plain brown box and mail to,

c/o Trajan/JMB, Hadrian’s Wall, 3rd fort from the North Sea.

Regards,

JMB

Hello JMB,

A refinish was the first thing I thought of, and there is something where the 3rd inspection stamp should be(but could also be poor steel)  but all the other stamps are so crisp I'm not sure. Tie that in with the uneven, and deep grinding on both fullers it got me wondering.

Weight by my probably not so precise scales is 1lb 1 Oz, or 480g.

the blade looks to have lost a mm or so of the tip, bit I've compared all other dimensions with a 6 15 Sanderson and all seem the same.

The scabbard does look too good, and I considered all sorts, but is consistent with pre clearance hole bayonet by having the flush rivets, and even if refinished, surely some trace of inspection stamp would be visable under a glass.

Old smithy has an early Chapman, with no date or inspection stamps (but everything else), that unusually has reversed R reducing it from service, so I suppose these odities are out there but unusual.

If I get bored with it...ill drop it off the next time I'm passing!!!

regards,

Dave.

Added photo comparing both fullers for comparison.

image.jpeg

Edited by Dave66
Photo

• 4 weeks later...

Been away for a while - since 15th September in fact -  so first chance to look at this! 

What a very nice looking piece - and that scabbard looks to be in excellent condition! Don't forget that bayonets were given out as persentation pieces to visiting dignitaries and so this could be one of those, hence the lack of appropriate markings. Then kept in the family for donks and finally came your way, you lucky, err, person! If JMB is not to busy battening down the hatches in case Hurricane Michael comes his way, perhaps he will comment on the weight factor, etc.

Trajan

2 hours ago, trajan said:

Been away for a while - since 15th September in fact -  so first chance to look at this! 

What a very nice looking piece - and that scabbard looks to be in excellent condition! Don't forget that bayonets were given out as persentation pieces to visiting dignitaries and so this could be one of those, hence the lack of appropriate markings. Then kept in the family for donks and finally came your way, you lucky, err, person! If JMB is not to busy battening down the hatches in case Hurricane Michael comes his way, perhaps he will comment on the weight factor, etc.

Trajan

Thank you sir.

Good to have you back again, its a nice example to have no matter what, and fits well as an example with no clearance hole that hasn't got too much rust of polished within an inch of its life!

All the best,

Dave.