Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Beilpicke info

rududu38

Hello friends!

Recently i got my hands on an interesting piece. Im not an expert (thats why im here after all) but it looks like an WWI german pick to me. It was in a pretty bad shape and I tought it was worthy of decent restauration project so I started to rub off the rust. Lo and behold strange marking of mysteriuos letter N (see the photos). Do you guys know what is up with this one? Thank you!

20180914_154017.jpg

20180914_154029.jpg

20180914_153949.jpg

Are you sure that this is a German relic?

If it is British, then the N would correspond to naval issue, similar to the stamp on Bayonets and rifles.

However, should then also have the Broad Arrow stamp somewhere to indicate British government ownership.

Regards,

JMB

Thanks for replying. Origin of the piece is a complete mystery to me.
However I do highly doubt the naval issue theory. I did not found anything resembling an arrow on it and quick online research doesn't lead anywhere...

Hi, 

definitively a German beilepicke head. The slots in the top are for the metal handle supports. I picked one up recently with the handle snapped. I have cleaned it up as it had various colours of paint from black, sand, green and black again. I then made a new handle8CE462EC-7851-4443-81EF-A68104121D12.thumb.jpeg.49cf6b86dce01d8a74b1fbea3ce98d02.jpeg

Hi 

I believe mine to be the 1896 version manufacturered in one piece including the front and rear strengthening bars. The later models 1909 had the bars as separate items on the inside. The 1912 which yours has the cut out section at the top to hole the bars which now had a T shape to keep them in place.