Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Inns Dorian monument

Hi , I’m looking for more info on my gt grandfather who died in 1915 and I have no idea if found and buried or not . He is remembered on the Dorian monument in Greece . Thanks for any info xx

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Lesley

For the experts to help you they will need more info such as full name, regiment, number, date of birth etc. You will be surprised at what they can find. It will also help if you say what you already know about him in order to prevent duplication of effort.

Good luck with your research

David

I presume we are looking at this soldier? https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1649674/inns,-albert-george/

Edited by DavidOwen
CWGC info

Both the medal card and roll show "Pres Dead" - i.e. presumed dead. This and his name being on the memorial show he has no known grave. There are a number of relevant records on Albert George but his actual service papers do not appear to have survived,  Looks as if he enlisted Sept 1914 into the E Surreys. Went overseas early 1915 (18/2). Was wounded in April 1915 - GSW (Shrapnel or gun shot wound) . To Hampshires - probably after recovery from wound - with whom he perished. 

Hi Lesley,

Welcome to the forum, if your gt grandfather is commemorated on the Doiran memorial then it is because he has no known grave. The date 7th December 1915 suggests that he died during the retreat from the Serb/Greek border after the battle of Kosturino. To find out more you would need to read the 10th Hampshires war diary, unfortunately the war diaries of battalions based in Salonika have not been digitised so a trip to Kew would be necessary.