Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brothers Serving Together

edergole

A while back, I recall reading on this Forum reference to a military tradition of an older brother 'calling' the younger to serve in his unit. Was there such a tradition? Was it adhered to during the war?

I'm researching to great uncles, brothers, one who served 5th Connaught Rangers and one with the 6th Connaught Rangers. However, after the later spent a period home sick in Ireland he was posted to his brothers battlion in Salonika. Just wondering whether the fact his brother was serving with the 5th could have anything to do with it. Maybe just coincidence.

Thanks

Joe

My Great Grandfather joined the Wiltshire Regiment in 1897. His younger brothers joined the same unit in 1898 , 1904 & 1907 respectively. Two of the brothers sailed to France together and were captured within a month spending almost the entire war as POWs and another was killed on the Somme.

Another younger brother ended up in the RFA probably as he was an ostler before the war. Yet another brother ended up in the Worcesters (surely if given the choice he would have joined the Wiltshires)

Tim