Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifle Case?

andy2014

Hello everyone, hope you are all well!

Does anyone recognise this rifle transport case as being original and from the Great War?

Not seen anything like it looking into it and wonder if it would have been used during WW1?

Is it worth having as part of a collection?

Thanks in advance!

Update...

it is said to be only 86cm long x 21cm wide and 9.5cm deep?

which is far too small for an enfield unless it is in pieces?

What if any rifle would fit in here, i thought the enfield was the main one for the time?

Regards.

Andy

20180914_075814.jpg

20180914_075800.jpg

Edited by andy2014

Hi. I am happy to be corrected on this, but I believe that this is a civilian shotgun/rifle case rather than a military issue item. I cannot read the paper label so do not know if that has a military connection. It could be from the First World War period, but I would not say it is military.

Regards, James.

48 minutes ago, NorthStaffsPOW said:

Hi. I am happy to be corrected on this, but I believe that this is a civilian shotgun/rifle case rather than a military issue item. I cannot read the paper label so do not know if that has a military connection. It could be from the First World War period, but I would not say it is military.

Regards, James.

I think I'd agree with you on that one James, shotgun case, where the barrel and stock would be broken down for transportation, with spaces for cleaning rods and all the accessories.

Dave.

Edited by Dave66
Typo

2 hours ago, Dave66 said:

I think I'd agree with you on that one James, shotgun case, where the barrel and stock would be broken down for transportation, with spaces for cleaning rods and all the accessories.

Dave.

Or a double rifle for heavy game - also popular with well-heeled hunters around WW1.

Have a look at the label on the case, many Officers had such cases, my great Uncle took his to the Front should a suitable opportunity for a crack at some game present itself.

If certain (Yeomanry) Cavalry Regiments could put on a hunt behind the lines such as The Scottish Horse in Salonika in 1917 , for heaven's sake one regiment even took a fox to France to hunt!  Then a left right at passing game was acceptable!

Dictum held by the Yeomanry - 'That Military matters should never seriously be allowed to intervene between a sportsman and his sport'

Interesting stuff! my main interest was if it was a case i could put with my SMLE.. but clearly for another gun or shotgun etc