Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme 1918

SMG65

Can anyone recommend a book that shows walks of the 1918 Retreat on the Somme?

Sean

Hello Sean, Are you talking about the German spring offensive or the German retreat in the late summer?  To walk the areas in question I just use Diaries, coordinates and Trench maps. Can,t help with any books that deal with your question though. Ian.

Major and Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide to Western Front  -South ISBN 184415239-1 has sections on both the Kaiser's Offensive and the later August/September period.

Max

Hi Sean

What period of the 1918 actions on the Somme are you interested in, is it the German Spring Offensive of March 21st 1918 ( British Retreat to the Somme area)  or are you interested in the British and Allied Offensives on the Somme of August 1918 to push the Germans back (Last 100 days) What units are you interested in or are you retracing the journey of a family member? Let me know. I might be able to help.

Kind Regards

Andy      

THank you for your replies.

I want to walk the March offensive.

I spent a day in 2014 following the Holts book and I've spent time in 2013 following the route of 151 Brigade.

I fancied doing some walks this tyear, it looks like I'll have to concoct my own.

I'm hoping to spend a day following 151 Brigade.

Sean

Hi Sean

The movements of the 5th Infantry Brigade part of the 2nd Division is an interesting one on the 21st March 1918 they were forced to fall back from Graincourt near Bourlon Wood to the outskirts of Auchonvillers on the 26th March 1918.By the time they, or what was left of them joined up and supported the fresh battalions of the New Zealanders and stopped the Germans on the outskirts of the village.There is a book called the Somme Offensive March 1918 by Andrew Rawson, priced at £19.99 you may find that an interesting read.If you need any more advice or information please ask.

Kind Regards

Andy