Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maison du Hibou - St Julien

Yorke Scarlett

Dear All,

Does anyone have an image of Maison du Hibou - the 2-storey blockhouse near St Julien.

Thanks in advance

It was from that blockhouse that my Grandfathers cousin set out on a trench raid to recce the German line, he was killed, probably by the supporting artillery, on the night of 6th-7th Sept 1917. There is a brief account of the raid in 'The Cast Iron Sixth' history of the 6th Btn London Rgt. 

That's an amazing picture Cnock - it's worth adding that the white road junction just above your square box is the location of the famous 'Brooding Soldier' memorial, which many visitors will be familiar with.

John

Edited by johntaylor

That's strange, because there is certainly a building there but according to my maps, Triangle Farm should be on the St Julien - Poelcappelle road, If this is oriented correctly, that road should be the one that more or less bisects the photograph about a third of the way up.  But I can't see any remains at all there.  Have I got my bearings wrong?

John

Sorry to answer my own post, but I'm not convinced that's Triangle Farm.  This map shows a small square building below the "du" in Maison du Hibou.  Surely it's that?  Triangle Farm should be on the other side of the St Julien - Poelcappelle road, but seems to have completely disappeared.

John

Capture.JPG

John is correct, the "triangle" in the earlier aerial post shows the farm, not the triangle of land. Changing the name's position on the later map must have caused some confusion at the time.

I did have some photos of Hibou, but cannot find them. I am sure that they also appeared in Trevor Pidgeon's detailed book on tanks in this area, so would suggest locating a copy of that book if still wanted.

Peter  

PS I am fairly sure pictures of Hibou (Numbered BII 2 and 3 by Thurlow) are in the Watson collection from about 1930. Not sure who has that collection now.....Bob Grundy?

Edited by mebu

Pete,

this one Maison du Hibou?

MAISONDUHIBOU.jpg

Edited by Cnock

Eddy I think (not positive, but fairly sure) this is the one nearer the road, the one marked close to the T of Triangle in the last map. The nearby farm building may confirm this.

Maybe this is good for the original enquiry by Yorke Scarlette?

Peter 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the responses guys.

Cnock's last photo certainly gives the impression of the strength of fortifications to be surmounted in the Mont du Hibou area.