Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

military medal gazetted 20. 08.1919

robinsgt

I have searched for a long time for any details about Arthur Albert CONSTABLE born 1890 who was in 290th  brigade R F A ,   He appears in London Gazette    on 20th Aug  1919 as being awarded M M .. I have read the 290th war diary  from 1917-1919  but cannot find any reference to Arthur being listed as a MM award.There are several others listed as being MM winners. Has anyone any more details about when or the action he was awarded the medal for please????

Many thanks for any help

Robin

Often it was rule of thumb to go back 3 months for possible action that earned the medal. But in this case still after the end of the war. So probably a catch up award to reward good service over a period of time & not one specific event. Or he may have been put forward earlier for the medal but did not get it so his CO decided to give it another try & this time it went through. Unless you find a local paper with an announcement in it about local boy gets award it may give details of possible action that earned the medal.

I think at end of the war the forces were a bit more relaxed as to awards & a lot got through that should have probably been awarded a long time before that.