Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shaap Balie Maps

Angela lunn

I'm researching my Great Uncle who served in the Kings Own Royal Regiment, 2nd/5th Battalion, he died on 26th October 1917.  I'm visiting Belgium in October and will be visiting Poelcapelle Cemetery.  I would also like to visit where his body was recovered from.  I've found online two map references from the war graves commission, V.13.D.4.6 and SE.V.21.5.6.  Please could I have your help as to which map I could find these references on?  This is all new to me and I really don't know where to start!  I've looked at McMaster's website and have tried the Kings Own Royal Regiment Museum.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Angela

Welcome to the Forum. The grid references seem to be incomplete trench map references. Normally, you get the map sheet number, then a capital letter, then a number, then a lower case letter, then two numbers.

I am guessing that the first reference should be 28 SW. V. 13. d. 4.6. and the second 28. SE. V. 21 and then a lower case letter is missing and then 5.6. You can find a description of how to read trench map references here https://maps.nls.uk/ww1/trenches/info2.html. 

THe National Library of Scotland has a number of trench maps available free on line - you can reach them form the page above. 

I don't quite understand why you have two references for where his body was recovered from. However, you should find them on the map Bas Warneton sheet 28. Both references are east of the Lys, south east of Bas Warneton. Good hunting

Robin

Hello,

It should be map 20 and not 28 if he was taken to Poelkapelle... If the original poster would have given the name of the man, we would be able to help better...

Jan

They are both missing the map (as Jan infers) which is 20 SE and the references of the initial burials belong to two different men.

Pte Smith was V 13 d 4 6

Pte Higson was V 21 c 6 5 (not 5 6)

Map and image at https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15&lat=50.9254&lon=2.9673&layers=101464873&right=BingHyb

The cemetery can be seen under the N 313 road marker on the map.  About equidistant from each initial burial site.

If you need help with pin pointing whichever is yours, give a shout and I'll mark u a map.

max

May I say a huge THANK YOU to all the replies to my post.  It did bring a tear to my eye at how helpful you have all been and so quickly too!  Yes, my Great Uncle was Private Norman Smith 241692.  I'm working my way through a digital copy of the War Diaries for 2nd/5th to gather Norman's story, I'm also reading Private William Hodgson's diary and letters.  The map's though baffled me and to have MaxD's marked map has saved me an enormous amount of time - thank you again to you all.