Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Battle of the Somme' Simulation

Mark Hone

I have been using a computer program called 'The Battle of the Somme', originally published by Tressell publications (now Spartacus Educational) for a number of years. Unfortunately the disk containing my copy has become damaged and will no longer function, despite the best efforts of our computer technicians. Does anyone know where I can obtain a repacement? I've tried contacting the author, via Spartacus, so far to no avail.

Mark

could you let me know if you have any success.

Thanks

martin

Fun but a bit silly. Nice idea though. Not sure where they got the idea that cavalry were waiting to break through at Serre. Also, I suspect the before and after artillery photos are a tad wrong. I will have to replay it sending in the cavalry straight away! Have to be good for a giggle. :blink:

Having tried just about every available pattern of 'attack' - I an only assume that the program is making the 'very broad brush' point that the tactics generally employed were a non-starter!

That was obviously not the case in all sectors but I suppose this is taking the 'overall view' of the first day.

Pity it could not be done with more variations of infantry tactics etc.

What am I talking about!! It's a bloomin' animated film!! I need to get out more.

Des

• 2 weeks later...

I have discovered via John Simkin, the original author, that the CD-ROM version I have is in fact an unauthorized pirate version! There seem to have been a couple of these uncredited conversions from the Acorn/ BBC original being sold to unsuspecting schools a few years ago.