Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Double Medals?

jonbem

Hi all

Chap on my family tree, Alfred Bell, husband of sister-in-law of 2nd great-aunt. (B: 1889 Market Weighton, Yorks)

a) # CHT964 Waggoner Special Reserve, and b) #T4/214429 ASC (Horse Transport) 

I have two service records, two MICs and two Rolls.

a) Service, MIC, Roll. (wife name on record is mistranscribed but children same) have not located 14 Star roll yet.

b) Service, MIC, Roll

Would he actually have received two of each BWM &  VM?

Are there other examples of this?

I look forward to replies.

thanks

Jon

I believe it possible, and think I have seen other examples. One I seem to remember was a bloke who became a time-served Territorial that was released and who was then conscripted again later.

Regards,

Mike

I'd agree, it does happen in odd cases (you also see some cases where the rolls seem to have been caught before the medals went out).

Craig

I saw mention the other week - his name escapes me - of a man who served with BEF and was discharged unfit and promptly took himself over to Canada and re enlisited in CEF and was killed in France.

His NOK received British and Canadian Campaign Medals.

Steve

I researched a man who was "put ashore" from the Navy in 1916, and who then served in the army, ending up as a sergeant in Salonika. he had pip squeak and Wilfred from the navy, and the usual pair from the army.

6 minutes ago, Grovetown said:

I have two pairs - indisputably to the same man - one issued to him as a member of the Scottish Horse; the other as a member of the RAF.

Cheers,

GT.

That's an interesting post. Would that mean their value as a double pair (is that the correct term?) is greater than the sum of the parts?