Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Bn KRRC India 1920-23

Greenland

The uploaded photograph in postcard format (not written on) was found in the personal papers of the daughter of a Great War Soldier who served with the 1/KRRC in France and who then transferred to 3/KRRC and servied in India 1920-23.  Is the soldier pictured a generic soldier or would it be a postcard personalised with a photograph of the particular soldier? 

Thank you for your help.

Greenland

KRRC Soldier.jpg

Hi johnboy.

Yes, it is blank with just a stamp.  Here it is.  Little obscure but it is definitely Mhow where the 3/KRRC were stationed, I believe.

Greenland

KRRC Soldier Reverse.jpg

What was his name?  I have a number of 3/KRRC photos from Mhow - I can look to see if he's in any of them.

Note also that the design is somewhat of a travesty as the KRRC does not have its Colours in the form of flags, but carries them on the cap badge.

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

2 hours ago, Greenland said:

Hi Mark, I did not know that about the Colours of the KRRC.  The name was James Tilby #45045.

Thanks very much,

Greenland

Aha!

As in your other topic here:

I checked my 1920's 3/KRRC material for Tilby when we looked into him then, including his Army Education Certificate results.  Sorry to report he is not mentioned, and does not appear in any of the named group photos (boxing, shooting teams etc.)

I'll see if I can match the rifleman in the postcard with any faces in the unnamed photos, but that's a long shot.

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

Thanks Mark.  Yes, I started a new topic in case the photograph got missed by adding it at the end of what I considered a more or less closed topic.  Not sure what the advice would be on this one but I can see it caused you to track back through material you had already checked to help me with the first posting on this man.  Apolgies for that but if it helps you identify someone in the 3/KRRC that would be great.  Thanks to everyone here, I am much further on that when I posted the original issue!

Greenland

Hello there,

I hope you don't mind me posting a couple of photographs here, but I thought that Mr Tilby's daughter might like to see a few images of a 3rd battalion chap in India at the same time as her father. Perhaps they knew each other. Here is Rifleman William Arthur Buckle, C/Os orderly and battalion boxing champ. That is his belt and trophies.

He fought with the Rifle Brigade in WW1 and then transferred to the KRRC in Calais in 1919. I suspect Mark might say that he made the right choice of Regiments in the end! :D

Regards,

Chris

Unknown Set 4  D.jpg

Unknown Set 4  C.jpg

Unknown Set 4  A Front.jpg

Edited by Drew-1918

3 hours ago, Drew-1918 said:

Unknown Set 4  C.jpg

Chris - is the Poona team photo captioned? 

So far I have spotted ...

Front Row (seated):  1. Lt.-Col. BJ Majendie; 2. Sjt. McCarthy; 3. Capt. Ireland.

Middle Row: 1. Rfn Burge; 2. LCpl Smith; 3. ???; 4. ???; 5. LCpl Veitch; 6. ???; 7. Rfn Wilkinson

Back Row: 1. Cpl Nash; 2. ???; 3. ???; 4. ???; 5. ???; 6. Rfn Brown.

Majendie's is the signature on Tilby's Education Certificate (in the original topic)

Strangely there is no mention of Rfn Buckle in the extensive boxing coverage in the 1920 KRRC Chronicle.

The Belt and the smaller Cup were won by LCpl Wilkinson.  The Trophy and the larger Silver Cup by the team.

Mark

4 hours ago, Greenland said:

Thanks Mark.  Yes, I started a new topic in case the photograph got missed by adding it at the end of what I considered a more or less closed topic.  Not sure what the advice would be on this one but I can see it caused you to track back through material you had already checked to help me with the first posting on this man.  Apolgies for that but if it helps you identify someone in the 3/KRRC that would be great.  Thanks to everyone here, I am much further on that when I posted the original issue!

Greenland

Generally better to keep everything about one soldier in one place.  Partly for the reason you mention, but also to avoid the situation we now have where new material is spawning off separately and e.g. Majendie's signature is now in a different topic to a good photo of him!

There would have been no chance of the photo being missed if it had been appended onto the old topic.  The Old Sweats here on the Forum generally browse first by looking for new content in topics where they have posted (using Content I Posted In button) and then general new material (using View New Content).  I missed this new Tilby topic initially and only became aware of it cos Andy Pay mentioned it to me off the board.

If you'd appended the photo to the original Tilby topic, then I would have spotted it immediately.

If you want to merge this false start back into your original Tilby topic, then contact the Admin team via a forum PM, or by using the Report Post button, but be aware this is a fair bit of hassle for them.

If you decide to merge, then once done, I'll remove or rationalise my posts that cross-link the two topics and material such as this post.

Mark

5 hours ago, MBrockway said:

Front Row (seated):  1. Lt.-Col. BJ Majendie; 2. Sjt. McCarthy; 3. Capt. Ireland.

Middle Row: 1. Rfn Burge; 2. LCpl Smith; 3. ???; 4. ???; 5. LCpl Veitch; 6. ???; 7. Rfn Wilkinson

Majendie's is the signature on Tilby's Education Certificate (in the original topic)

Strangely there is no mention of Rfn Buckle in the extensive boxing coverage in the 1920 KRRC Chronicle.

The Belt and the smaller Cup were won by LCpl Wilkinson.  The Trophy and the larger Silver Cup by the team.

Mark

No, unfortunately there are no names. The postcards came with his discharge papers and also a picture of a girl to him. He has written to the same girl saying the trophies are ‘his’. Perhaps he meant as part of the team or perhaps he is writing to impress. There is also a reference from the C/O with a signature. I will post or PM later, once I am home, for comparison. 

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. I think 3rd from left is Rfn. Buckle behind the C/O, which might make sense if he was his orderly. 

Edited by Drew-1918
Typos

OK Mark, I am suitably chastised and will not do this again!!  I thought long and hard about it but was so unsure whether the old Tilby posting would be re-visited so thought it best to start again.  I shall see what can be done about uniting the two.

Greenland

Chris, wonderful photographs, thank you.  For Armistice, would you mind very much if I placed some of these photographs in our small church on a simple noticeboard display?  I have written up stories, as best I can, about the lives of twenty soldiers who went to war and we wish to honour them further with a small display. These would be super to add to the display with James Tilby and it is amazing to think that he would have known some, if not all, of them. I shall only do so with your permission.

Sadly, the daughter is blind now and lives in the north of Scotland but the grandson lives a little nearer and I am sure he would be interested to see these.  He recently retured from a visit north and because his mother could not see the photograph I posted, I need to ask whether it was a personalised one.

Now I am off to post another question - you can tell I am not knowledgeable about the army - just doing my best for 'my' soldiers!

Greenland

1 minute ago, Greenland said:

Chris, wonderful photographs, thank you.  For Armistice, would you mind very much if I placed some of these photographs in our small church on a simple noticeboard display?  I have written up stories, as best I can, about the lives of twenty soldiers who went to war and we wish to honour them further with a small display. These would be super to add to the display with James Tilby and it is amazing to think that he would have known some, if not all, of them. I shall only do so with your permission.

Sadly, the daughter is blind now and lives in the north of Scotland but the grandson lives a little nearer and I am sure he would be interested to see these.  He recently retured from a visit north and because his mother could not see the photograph I posted, I need to ask whether it was a personalised one.

Now I am off to post another question - you can tell I am not knowledgeable about the army - just doing my best for 'my' soldiers!

Greenland

What you're doing is fantastic - keep it up.

We will remember them :poppy:

Hello Greenland,

I would not mind at all. I think it is an absolutely wonderful idea. It sounds very nice that they will be up in your little church for a while and I think is a sentiment that men of the time would have appreciated. Please do go ahead and do that.

I am not sure if posting to the Forum reduces picture quality (I don’t think it does anymore), but if you need the original scans, let me know and I will PM them to you.

Mark,

If you do not mind, I will PM you the other bits and pieces. I have no problem posting them here, but it is just that I think it will be a bit off topic. 

Chris

Looking at the photos again, I just realised I have done Rfn Buckle a disservice. I only glanced at what he wrote on the back and I misread his handwriting. He actually wrote, "Won by our Battn. team". I read his cursive "our" as 'won by me..."

Many apologies. 

Chris

• 2 years later...
On 11/09/2018 at 17:57, MBrockway said:

Mark

Sorry for jumping in on this old post but I'm hoping someone could help me track down my Great Grandfather Sgt John McCarthy KRRC. I have a Southern Command Poona boxing medal from 1921 with his name on it and was amazed to see the boxing team photo of 1920 posted here. My issue is the medal has an initial that looks like an "l" not an J for John, this leaves some doubt when tracing his WW1 records, many thanks from an ex-bootneck.

C160B908-FAC8-4A15-B45E-2D17CA025582.jpeg

It’s not impossible that it’s a mistake made with the inscription.  Sometimes the inscribing was done by natives in the Regimental Bazaar (a sort of shopping area on the edge of camp where goods were sold on stalls and small workshops existed. They paid a pitch fee to the QM which then went into the regimental fund).  At a time when regiments were still moved by ship it wasn’t practicable to send back to the UK for inscribing to be done.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Trapped away from my library by COVID rules at the moment, so it'll be some weeks before I can chase down more on McCarthy in the 1921 KRRC Chronicle.

If I can find anything from my digital archive, which luckily had travelled with me, I'll post over the next few days.  Big "If" though.

Mark

13 hours ago, Bootneck63 said:

Many thanks, forgot to mention it is Sgt Mccarthy MM, the Military Medal leads me to believe his service number was 5712 from records I have seen.

During the actual hostilities, 5712 Sgt John McCarthy, MM, served in 1/KRRC and 10/KRRC, v. the B&VM roll ...

1532700578_McCarthy5712BWVMRoll.jpg.810f8c10c9cf9e92e010e86d12202c4a.jpg

It is possible he transferred to 3/KRRC post war, but cannot check that easily without my books.

Mark

As luck would have it, I do have some pictures of Sgt McCarthy with me ...

1679737837_McCarthySgtJ3-KRRC1920A.jpg.7d6e84cf2a9bf7535f13ca3531264b7b.jpg

1291490812_McCarthySgtJ3-KRRC1920B.jpg.2de2d8539ceb0e91a9fff7793fdf0a2d.jpg

Mark

5712 McCarthy's MM was gazetted on 23 Feb 1918.  He was serving in 10/KRRC at the time.

361961091_McCarthyMM01.jpg.f5e85062d5ffb6bb2bbb5c8b69a5d4fc.jpg

1043703259_McCarthyMM02.jpg.9c61124846e6f71c5d6ed301a976907b.jpg

Source: LG Issue #30540, 22 Feb 1918, p.2425 here

You may have to wait till I'm back with my library for me to unearth the action with 10/KRRC for which he was awarded MM.  Cambrai is an obvious possibility.

5712 Sgt McCarthy has address 19 Lamble Street, Gospel Oak, NW5, on his campaign medal index card.  Does that tie up with any known family locations?

Mark