Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help translating service record

john fitzgerald

Hi,

My great uncle, Leslie Surgenor no 67246, joined the RFC in March 1917 from the army (not sure what regiment). It appears he undertook clerical duties and I am unsure if he served abroad during the war. He did in fact serve until 1922 but it his war years I am interested in.

Can anyone help deciphering his service record (apologies for the bad copies). please as I cannot make head nor tale of them!

A precise would be fine.

If anyone has an indication of his duties that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

John

Document (64).pdf

He was 18yrs and 1 month when he joined the RFC so that would suggest that there was no army service prior to that and he was conscripted (18 years of age + 1 month notice of conscription). What do you have to say he was in the army first ?

Craig

1 hour ago, ss002d6252 said:

He was 18yrs and 1 month when he joined the RFC so that would suggest that there was no army service prior to that and he was conscripted (18 years of age + 1 month notice of conscription). What do you have to say he was in the army first ?

Craig

His service record mentions he enlisted from the army

The form was completed retrospectively sometime after the creation of the RAF on April 18 so at the time of enlistment in March 17 he was in the RFC, which was part of the Army.

Craig