Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Rob B

HRH Princess Patricia of Connaught Hospital, Bray Co Wicklow

Rob B

I have been going through my wife's Grandmother's photo album which has some interesting photos of casualty groups and nursing staff at the Patricia of Connaught Hospital in County Wicklow that I felt would be of interest. Date wise the album has some 1916 Easter Rising photos so would date these to that period.

HRH PC Co Bray.JPG

Sister with VADs.JPG

Sister with stretcher.JPG

Group with sister.JPG

3 Soldiers with VADs.JPG

Group of 3.JPG

HERITAGE PLUS

The Princess Patricia of Connaught Hospital was set up in the International Hotel in Bray in June 1915. Similarly to the other large hospitals, Princess Patricia’s was run with a combined workforce of paid staff and volunteers. Funding was obtained from subscriptions made to the hospital. Initial subscriptions amounted to more than £5,000. A single donor contributed £1,000. Five wards were endowed by Irish counties, a sixth by the Dublin Women’s Unionist Club, and a seventh by the city of Toronto, Canada. The hospital was well equipped with modem appliances like ‘Radium Hot Baths, Medical Switch Board, Galvanic Batteries etc.' The hospital was able to offer its patients ‘Swedish massage, Remedial Exercises, Tonic Medication, Radiant Heat, Galvanism etc. This was accomplished with the support of in excess of one hundred voluntary auxiliaries. In addition there were over twenty non-nursing volunteers who assisted in the sewing room carrying out repairs on soldiers’ clothes. The hospital became a centre for fitting artificial limbs. Two hundred and sixty-seven men were fitted with artificial limbs until that function was moved to the Duke of Connaught Hospital, also in Bray, in 1917.

Opened June 1915 - Closed 30 September 1919  Beds 200 Patients 4,236

Source:

http://eprints.maynoothuniversity.ie/5060/1/Clare_O'Neill_20140620131550.pdf

Wexflyer

"Radium hot baths". I shudder to think. If the Huns did not do for them, the baths did...