Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical services on the Somme.

SgtPrice

Dear Forum Pals,

I am researching a WW1 soldier on behalf of a neighbor. The soldier is Private John Ross, S/15332, 7th (Service) Battalion, The Queens Own Cameron Highlanders, 44th Brigade, 15th (Scottish) Division. It is likely he was injured on the Somme whilst taking part in an attack on trenches near Contalmasion, on the 17th August when the Battalion suffered 241 casualties. He was machined gunned in the feet and lost 5 toes. He was then evacuated down the medical chain and passed through a Casualty Clearing Station where according to his family a Canadian surgeon managed to save a leg which at first people thought was going to have to be amputated. The question I have been asked is it possible to know which CCS he would have passed through, e.g. were the CCS's dedicated to certain units or did they just take anybody depending on what has happening on the battlefield. If anybody could let me know I would be very grateful.

regards,

PrivatePrice     

Edited by SgtPrice

20 minutes ago, PrivatePrice said:

Dear Forum Pals,

I am researching a WW1 soldier on behalf of a neighbor. The soldier is Private John Ross, S/15332, 7th (Service) Battalion, The Queens Own Cameron Highlanders, 44th Brigade, 15th (Scottish) Division. It is likely he was injured on the Somme whilst taking part in an attack on trenches near Contalmasion, on the 17th August when the Battalion suffered 241 casualties. He was machined gunned in the feet and lost 5 toes. He was then evacuated down the medical chain and passed through a Casualty Clearing Station where according to his family a Canadian surgeon managed to save a leg which at first people thought was going to have to be amputated. The question I have been asked is it possible to know which CCS he would have passed through, e.g. were the CCS's dedicated to certain units or did they just take anybody depending on what has happening on the battlefield. If anybody could let me know I would be very grateful.

regards,

PrivatePrice     

For an attack there were often specific CCS' set to one side where there was the expectation of a large number of casualties - in some cases more than one CCS would be used and they may be assigned specific casualty types to deal with. If you look at the brigade and divisional diaries they often contain notes or plans recording which CCS would be used in the case of casualties

Craig

I can look through diaries tomorrow to work out the route to the CCS and which CCS it was. Usually they are grouped together and rotate intake. A Canadian surgeon being involved may help pin it down.

TEW

Guys,

Many many thanks for the replies they are appreciated. Every bit helps.

TEW-If you could look through the diaries that would be much appreciated this end. 

Regards,

Stuart

Can you check back with your neighbour as there is a service record for a John Ross S/15332 7 battalion Cameron Highlanders. Home address 40 Gardner St, Partick. Father was James Pattullo? Watts.

His record on Findmypast suggests his only wound was a GSW to the knee, the date (difficult to read) looks like 25/7/1916 to me.

1917 address looks like 46 Lawrence St. Partick.

Just need to check if this is the right man before pursuing CCS hunt.

TEW

TEW,

Thanks for the reply. As I am not familiar with FMP records could you check to see if there is a John Ross from the Cameron Highlanders with injuries to his feet rather than knee and maybe a connection to Inverness otherwise I might have the wrong John Ross. I just want to see if there is an alternative as I would hate for you to do some research and it be on the wrong person! My neighbour is away for a day or so. Once they are back I will let you know.   

Stuart. 

Edited by SgtPrice
Adding extra info.

The man I mentioned has the correct number and enlisted in Inverness. Not sure about date of knee injury. Maybe 1915 but seems a final step for the man.

TEW

TEW,

I think it is the right man due to the connection to Inverness so if there is any additional info on him I would be very grateful to get it. 

many thanks,

Stuart,

What I have managed to work out is which CCSs a man from 7/QOCH would have been evacuated to on 17/8/1916 which the original post stated is a 'likely' date rather than a known date.

There is still the problem of his form which only gives GSW Knee and a date that can't be read properly but maybe July 1916. So the story about the toes and the date may not be stacking up. Alternatively, perhaps the form is only concerned with the injury to the knee as that led to his discharge in 1917.

There are 2 CCSs where men of 15th Division, III Corps would have been treated for general wounds during July & August 1916. 34 & 45 CCSs. I checked both and 45 CCS does actually mention two Canadian Officers of the Canadian Army Medical Corps arriving on temporary duty from 2/7/1916 to 27/7/1916. In post#5 I said the date (difficult to read) looks like 25/7/1916 to me so at least the two Canadian Officers would have been at 45 CCS for that time frame.

The two Canadians are Capt. H L Wright and Capt. Herbert Allan Snetsinger, I can't determine if either was a surgeon.

34 CCS also mentions staff arriving and leaving but make no mention of Canadian CAMC.

I may post up the form and see if anyone else can extract a date for the knee injury

TEW

TEW,

Many thanks for posting the additional information, it is really appreciated. Concerning the date of the injury I stated that the date was likely because it was a leg injury and I would have thought was more likely to be caused in an attack as he would have been out of the trench and as a consequence more likely to get injured in the legs than in a trench. Esp as the Battalion suffered many casualties on this date. However, that does not rule out him being injured on another date. Even if there is some confusion over the date thanks to your efforts possible candidates have been identified who might be the Canadian surgeon/doctor who helped save his leg so that is really helpful. .   

regards,

Stuart.     

Stuart,

I posted the part of his form that shows GSW Knee and the date. The consensus is that the date appears to be July 1915.

The battalion arrived in France 9th July 1915, he was deprived of Lce. Stripe (Lance Corporal) 23/7/1915. Then it appears the GSW Knee has to be after this date and before 29/7/1915 when he was posted to depot following the injury.

Just to add another spanner in the works wounded & sick of the 15th Division from 16/7/1915 were evacuated to No. 1 Canadian Casualty Clearing Station at Fort Gassion, Aire.

He does not show up on the War Office Casualty Lists for 1915 or 1916.

TEW

TEW,

Many thanks for all of your work on this case. It would appear from the information that you had supplied that I have the wrong Pte John Ross. For that I am sorry and I hope that I have not put you to too much trouble. What you have done is really appreciated. Back to the drawing board for me.  

regards,

Stuart.