Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th Manchesters Salonika October 1916

AndyJohnson

Hi

I'm interested in a casualty from 7th October 1916 in Salonika, serving with the 13th Manchesters - James Parker (born Tipton, resident Wigan).

I'm struggling to find any information regarding the 13/MC actions around that time. Ancestry doesn't have the 1916 War Diary, neither does The National Archives.

Can anyone enlighten me on the actions of the 13th Manchesters (66 Bde 22 Div) in the first week of October 1916, specifically the 7th October when James Parker was kia.

regards

Andy

Edited by AndyJohnson

Hi Andy,

There are no specific mentions of action by the 13th Manchesters at this time in the official history, your best bet is the war diary, he may have been wounded on a raid or he may have been hit by enemy shelling. The autumn offensive was under way in October 1916 but the main operations were being carried out by the French and Serbs around Monastir, however XII Corps (including 13th Mancs) were tasked with making diversionary raids but the official history only mentions the 12th Hampshire attack on Goldies Hill and the 11th Worcesters raid on Mamelon.

Thank you gentlemen, that is most useful.

The Manchesters web site says that Ashton-Under-Lyme Archives at Tameside Library have a typed copy of the 13/MC War Diary, so I've emailed them to see what costs would be involved to get a copy of Sept/Oct 1916 - likely to be cheaper that TNA I would have thought.

I can see from SDGW that 13/MC had 2 men kia on 7th Oct and 2 dow on 8th.

I'll let you know outcome from Ashton.

regards

Andy

Edited by AndyJohnson

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I've had a reply from Ashton-Under-Lyme Archives. They do not have a copy of the 13/MC War Diaries, and referred me to The National Archives.

I probably won't like the cost for TNA to copy the section of the WAr Diary, but I've paid my £8.50 for them to just do their Archive search.

regards

Andy