Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charabancs

Old Harry

Does anyone know where I can get information about the use of charabancs for transporting troops on the Western front in WWI?

I attach a couple of pictures. One of an example of civilian use; the other is from a publication about the history of Bovington Garrison and is the only military example I could find.

charabanc.jpg

charabanc3.jpg

This doesn't really meet your criteria, though at least the photo was taken in the war:

eBay: Bustard Camp

The vendor doesn't give any evidence for the scene being at Bustard Camp, but certainly the 7th Hampshire was there in late September 1914.

Moonraker

I turned down some post cards showing the Royal Navy using Charabancs. What struck me was the Charabancs being marked up as RN property, it was no day hire for shore leave. 

Dated roughly 1910 to 1920 on a quick look but could not place a location. So HM forces use was widespread. 

Looking at the price above, I sadly missed a chance. Fiver per card I thought was a bit steep but clearly not!

15 hours ago, Old Harry said:

Does anyone know where I can get information about the use of charabancs for transporting troops on the Western front in WWI?

I attach a couple of pictures. One of an example of civilian use; the other is from a publication about the history of Bovington Garrison and is the only military example I could find.

charabanc.jpg

This photo was taken in Devonport. My grandmother is on there somewhere (can't remember where). My father did have a copy of this (cut from a newspaper). It was taken as they set off on some jaunt organised by the Co-op.

I obviously didn't make my requirements clear originally, so I must clarify them.

I am not so much interested in photographs of charabancs - especially civilian ones - as in records and accounts of their use on the Western Front.

My father served as a motor vehicle driver with 18th Auxiliary Omnibus Company, ASC, and often mentioned that he drove a charabanc in France. The company's War Diary occasionally records their use in the first half of 1916, but not much afterwards. I am interested in how they were used - was it with front line troops, as in the Bovington picture, or were they mostly used for transporting officers? Were they used throughout the War or phased out at some stage?

I am not in the market for purchasing photos, unless it is of an 18th Company charabanc, ideally being driven by my father!

Roy.

In Michael Youngs book 'Postcards of the Army Service Corps 1902 - 1918' there are two postcards:

P208 A Daimler charabanc in France - doesn't say where
P213 Infantry enjoy a lift on a column of charabancs [Footnote 58] - the postcard also has a caption 'British Troops who drove the Huns out of Lesboeufs' 

The footnote is on page 263

58. The Auxiliary Omnibus Park
It basically says when ASC transport was re-organised in 1917 a number of omnibus companies were withdrawn for reorganisation, refurbishment and some re-equipment, essentially providing 25 charabancs for each company. 

I have looked at The Royal Army Service Corps by Graeme Crew and Military Transport of World War One By Ellis/Bishop. 

Neither mention Charabancs as transport used, the nearest I can find a Armstrong-Whitworth wagon. 

Have you looked at 

https://www.naval-military-press.com/product/postcards-of-the-army-service-corps-1902-1918coming-of-age/

https://www.naval-military-press.com/product/royal-army-service-corps-a-history-of-transport-and-supply-in-the-british-army/

They may refer to charabancs in there. 

Ah same thoughts as Gardnerbill 

Thank you gents - useful info.

I have ordered the book of postcards which is on special offer. The other one may have to be borrowed!

Roy.

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 14:40, Old Harry said:

Thank you gents - useful info.

I have ordered the book of postcards which is on special offer. The other one may have to be borrowed!

Roy.

The  second book is a bit pricey but apparently the volume on the ASC. One day I will slip and buy it. Hope you find what you are looking for. 

• 2 years later...

Late reply I know but Noakes refers to his 3rd Coldstream using them in March 1918 in being pushed into the line after the start of the German Offensive in his  The Distant Drum p 93-94 ... admits he had wished he had chosen the ASC truck option as at least they could stand up to stretch their legs in the trucks whereas they were all crammed in. Hope of some help. Just reading it now and had to research what a military charabanc was like and found your post.

Best wishes

Jim

My grandfather refers to char-a-bancs being used to transport walking wounded alongside ambulances, first coming down from the front line on the Somme towards the end of July 1916, and secondly coming down from the front line at Ypres towards the end of August 1917.

• 1 month later...
On 22/11/2020 at 21:30, A Lancashire Fusilier by Proxy said:

My grandfather refers to char-a-bancs being used to transport walking wounded alongside ambulances, first coming down from the front line on the Somme towards the end of July 1916, and secondly coming down from the front line at Ypres towards the end of August 1917.

Thanks. that is useful information. On 7 & 8 April 1917 the 18th Company War Diary records a number of buses on detached duty with 6th, 7th and 17th Corps at AVESNES-LE-COMTE, BOUQUEMAISON and AUBIGNY for the conveyance of walking wounded.

Roy.

On 06/09/2018 at 18:51, Old Harry said:

The civilian picture is interesting. It's the third time I've seen it. It turned up on a Naval group on Facebook, and I had a copy. My grandmother, and I presume Grandfather are in it. He is the gentleman with a hat and dark suit whose arm is well outside the side of the vehicle. My grandmother is beside him. I t was taken in Plymouth somewhere - I'm not sure where but almost certainly somewhere near St Levans Road. My grandparents were great supporters, indeed fanatics for the Cooperative Society, and the Labour Party. This is probably an outing organised by one of those two organisations.

4 hours ago, Old Harry said:

On 7 & 8 April 1917 the 18th Company War Diary records a number of buses on detached duty with 6th, 7th and 17th Corps at AVESNES-LE-COMTE, BOUQUEMAISON and AUBIGNY for the conveyance of walking wounded.

Old Harry, if your interest extends to buses, as well as charabancs, my grandad has quite a few other references to the use of these. I think I am correct in believing these to be two distinct types of vehicle?

You probably have the reference already but the War Diary for 15 Coy for 28 Feb 1917 includes " 4 Charabancs were posted to this company thus completing strength as New Est." TNA ref is WO 95-149-2. 

Hello !

The "char à bancs" was an old form of open horses-drawn carriage, with four wheels, intended to transport people, an driven by a coachman.

It was equipped with wood benches and was paricularly uncomfortable as it did not have suspension.

Michel

17 hours ago, michel knockaert said:

Hello !

The "char à bancs" was an old form of open horses-drawn carriage, with four wheels, intended to transport people, an driven by a coachman.

It was equipped with wood benches and was paricularly uncomfortable as it did not have suspension.

Michel

And the motorised version was interesting in not being covered. There was a soft roof that could be pulled over, but all the passengers had to help! My grandmother told the story that one day one of these went off and the passengers got so drunk that when it started to rain they couldn't help with the roof, so the driver got under the charabanc and sheltered there until the rain stopped, leaving the passengers to get soaked.

Search for "Salisbury charabancs" on eBay and there are several listed, including one with soldiers as passengers.

(I am NOT the vendor of any of these. I wouldn't mind purchasing the soldiers one, but some reason the seller won't accept bids from me and can't remember/tell me why. Let it be confessed that twice in the past I've used surrogates to purchase items from him, but I'm not sufficiently motivated to do so for this card, which has been listed for at least seven months.)

• 2 weeks later...

I have just finished reading With a Machine Gun to Cambrai by George Coppard. Towards the end, in Chapter 23, having received a bullet wound to the foot on 17 October 1916 while in the Gueudecourt area, he says "That evening, with other wounded men, I travelled in a very ancient charabanc, past the ruins of Montauban and Longueval, right out of the battle area" - possibly one of the same charabancs that my grandfather saw coming down from the front line in that area towards the end of July 1916?