Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aircraft Type?

pjwmacro

Could somebody confirm the type of aircraft for me please?

Aircraft NWF 1919.jpg

It is a Royal Aircraft Factory B.E 2. I don't know which variant.

I note the Indian soldier to the left (India or North west Frontier?)

Scott

It is a BE.2c.  I looked at serial number records, and there is no information regarding this aircraft, other than that it is a BE.2c.

Have you any other photos of the same place, that may have another BE.2c in the photo?

Cheers,

Caleb

Edited by Biggles

3 hours ago, pjwmacro said:

Could somebody confirm the type of aircraft for me please?

Aircraft NWF 1919.jpg

'4584' a 30 Squadron aircraft in Mesopotamia.   30 Sqn was ordered to proceed to Basra on December 9th 1915.   By May 1st 1916 30 Sqn could muster six B.E.2.cs and by May 6th these were resident at Sheikh Saad Aerodrome - possibly the location of the above image.   By the end of June the Squadron had 17 B.E.2cs, split amongst three flights.  

The above details taken from Wings over Mesopotamia-Air War in Iraq 1914-1918 Cross & Cockade International.   Apart from knowing that '4584' was a 30 Squadron aircraft I have no more information about this particular machine.

Well done Pete!  I'm glad you could find out what squadron this aircraft belonged to.  Hope this helps you, pjwmacro.

Cheers,

Caleb

Thank you all for the helpful responses -and confirming my thought that it was a BE2c.  I did wonder if it might be a 20 Sqn Bristol Fighter

The photo is in the National Army Museum collection: 

https://collection.nam.ac.uk/detail.php?q=searchType%3Dadvanced%26advancedText%3D%26associatedName%3D%26unit%3D%26event%3D%26campaign%3D3rd%20Afghan%20War%26fromDate%3D%26toDate%3D%26productionNotes%3D%26keywordNotes%3D%26placeNotes%3D%26ot[]%3D12%26otArc%3D1%26resultsDisplay%3Dlist%26page%3D5&pos=9&total=147&page=5&acc=1990-07-201-92

It's supposed to be a British airfield, North West Frontier, 1919 - which would fit with it being a 31 Squadron a/c (not 30 Squadron) . 31 Sqn formed in Farnborough in Oct 1915 - and deployed straight to India. The noted source of the photographs would also suggest India / NWF. I suppose the aircraft could have been transferred from 30 Sqn to 31 Sqn - but that doesn't seem very likely.

Regards, Paul

49 minutes ago, pjwmacro said:

Thank you all for the helpful responses -and confirming my thought that it was a BE2c.  I did wonder if it might be a 20 Sqn Bristol Fighter

The photo is in the National Army Museum collection: 

https://collection.nam.ac.uk/detail.php?q=searchType%3Dadvanced%26advancedText%3D%26associatedName%3D%26unit%3D%26event%3D%26campaign%3D3rd%20Afghan%20War%26fromDate%3D%26toDate%3D%26productionNotes%3D%26keywordNotes%3D%26placeNotes%3D%26ot[]%3D12%26otArc%3D1%26resultsDisplay%3Dlist%26page%3D5&pos=9&total=147&page=5&acc=1990-07-201-92

It's supposed to be a British airfield, North West Frontier, 1919 - which would fit with it being a 31 Squadron a/c (not 30 Squadron) . 31 Sqn formed in Farnborough in Oct 1915 - and deployed straight to India. The noted source of the photographs would also suggest India / NWF. I suppose the aircraft could have been transferred from 30 Sqn to 31 Sqn - but that doesn't seem very likely.

Regards, Paul

Paul,

Mea Culpa!   Sorry for the duff gen.   I've just checked my source again and found that I was looking at '4585' NOT '4584'.  On my serial list B.E.2c '4584' has no details as to which Squadron or where it may have been deployed.   I really should have taken more notice of Waddell's comment!  

Regards,

Peter.

Edited by pete-c

1 hour ago, pete-c said:

Paul,

Mea Culpa!   Sorry for the duff gen.   I've just checked my source again and found that I was looking at '4585' NOT '4584'.  On my serial list B.E.2c '4584' has no details as to which Squadron or where it may have been deployed.   I really should have taken more notice of Waddell's comment!  

Regards,

Peter.

No drama Peter - that's the joy of research! Thank you for clearing up the confusion.

I have asked the question on another post, but while I`m here and surrounded by experts:  Is the serial number unique to each individual a/c - or is it possible that there is BE2c 4584 and another 4584 of a different a/c type?  I use this number as an example.  The a/c I am actually interested in is a 20 Squadron Bristol Fighter  F4626, brought down to the East of Badama Post on 30th Jul 1919 during the 3rd Afghan War.  Anyone know of any records or photos of this a/c?

Regards, Paul

34 minutes ago, topgun1918 said:

Serial numbers 4300 to 4599 were allotted to a batch of 300 B.E.2c aircraft manufactured by G & J Weir in Glasgow.

Graeme

Thanks Graeme - so I assume the serial number is unique to the a/c - no matter what type?  ie - there cannot be a Bristol Fighter  F4626, ans a BE2c F4626.

Regards, Paul

Hi Paul

Correct; the specific prefix/serial number combination identified a specific aeroplane.  Occasionally, an aeroplane would be sufficiently damaged that it was Struck Off Charge of the RFC/RNAS/RAF but subsequently rebuilt, usually using parts from other machines of the same type that had also been Struck Off Charge; in such instances, a new serial number would be allotted to the rebuilt machine ('blocks' of serial numbers were set aside for this purpose).

Graeme