Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Gareth Davies

11th Bn Tank Corps WD - WO 95/100

Gareth Davies

Does anyone have a copy of the original 2 Sep 18 War Diary entry for 11th Bn Tank Corps?  Does it list casualties?

GraemeClarke

Gareth,

I have that they were 'refitting at Blairville tankdrome' between 1st and 23rd September, but this may refer to A,B and C Companies.

There are quite a few casualties in August 1918 but as usual, only officers named. next casualties are 27 September 1918.

How does that fir in with what you have ??

Regards,

Graeme

Gareth Davies

Spot on.  Do you have a photo of the original page Graeme or are you using a transcript?  I will explain more in a bit. 

GraemeClarke

Hi Gareth,

Original but typed.

Graeme

Gareth Davies

Thanks Graeme, and thanks for the copy.  That's exactly the same as I have seen.  What has confused me is that the transcript I have is different, it has extra detail.  It maybe that the transcriber took material from the history and added it to the WD but this is the only example I have seen where the transcripts are not a faithful copy of the original.  Strange. 

Gareth Davies

So here's the issue.  Attached are screen shots of the document in the NA (W) 95/100) and of a version held in Bovington.  They are clearly similar in places but they certainly aren't the same. And they have different names on them.  Has anyone come across this problem before?

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 11.51.58.png

11th Bn Sept 1918.jpg