Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Carrel-Dakin versus BIPP?

Wendy Moore

Has anyone tried to compare the Carrel-Dakin method of irrigating septic wounds with the BIPP method of packing wounds with BIPP (Bismuth-iodoform-paraffin paste)? Or can anyone comment on whether either of these methods would have been successful in controlling wound infection in the pre-antibiotic era?

I'm writing about the use of the BIPP method at Endell Street Military Hospital. thanks for any help!

E-mailed you some references Wendy.

sJ

If you have a look through this thread you will see both methods in use in the later months [but no comparisons, unfortunately]. Very precious pages were found at TNA

Thank you so much for this swift response. I can see lots of references to Carrel [wrongly spelled unfortunately!] but no mention of BIPP or bismuth? Is it described in some other way?

thanks, Wendy

Also - what I'm really trying to get at - is whether anyone can compare these two methods now (or any other in use in the FWW) and say which was most likely to be effective? Would they both have been effective to some extent or not made much difference before antibiotics?

Anything antiseptic would have helped to a certain extent, or Lister wouldn't have made such a difference to operative casualty rates since the 1860s. I imagine what you really need the antibiotics for are things like the gas gangrene (clostridium) infections which are bacterial. Which said, that's just an educated guess, so don't quote me: I'm not a medic :) .