Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifleman(s?) Farm...Ypres

ZIL

I am currently researching a lance sergeant fron 1st battalion grenadiers guards ,for relatives, who died of wounds 8:5:16 at Lifssenthoek Military Hospital.The 1st’s wat diary shows them in trenches at Rifleman or s Farm.Other locations mentioned are Railway Wood and Muddy Lane.

my knowledge of this area is limited but looking on maps there is a Rifle Farm up from Hellfire Corner,also Railway Wood is a little higher up.

I believe Muddy Lane was a coms trench from the wood to the rear.

Is the Rifle Farm the same as Riflemans? Or am I in the wrong location.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks again ZIL

There is a sketch map in the Brigade diary which calls it Rifle Farm and looking at the orders I'd suggest it is what the battalion called Rifleman's Farm and has the other locations too.

Max

43112_1221_0-00397.jpg

Hi Zil

I'm attaching a couple of snaps to give you a sense of the ground as it is now. The first is Rifle Farm from the edge of Railway Wood looking back towards Ieper; the farm buildings are on the left and the cars are following the line of the railway line down to Hellfire Corner which is just behind the farm. The Cloth Hall, the cathedral and and Sint Jacob are in the centre.

1575871126_YpresfromthecornerofRailwayWood.thumb.JPG.07c22d33b8fc0fa8dc2ee487b28e3113.JPG

The second one is a panorama from where the Liverpool Scottish Memorial now stands just along from the RE Grave, about 300m from where the other one was taken. This is looking south towards the Menin Road and shows the area of Muddy Lane (apologies for being able to see the join). Rifle Farm is just off to the right of picture.

Pete.

1723724680_PanoramafromLiverpoolScottishMemorialBellewaarde.jpg.eadc2568154c275fdd9fca8d8360b5cd.jpg

Edited by Fattyowls
Church Tower id howler

No problem Zil, it's nice when any of my rubbish random snaps come in handy for someone. Just to complete the set this is the view from Perth (China Wall) Cemetery looking up to Railway Wood and the RE Grave which gives more of a sense of how dominant the ground was and why it was so heavily fought over. Rifle Farm is just to the right of the big single tree breaking the horizon on the left of the picture.

Pete.

708734296_RailwayWoodandtheREGravefromPerth(ChinaWall).thumb.JPG.2a955ee90a8470802f5f32e09acacf21.JPG

I can assure you they are not rubbish...they give great detail of the lie of the land...the trees etc grow back etc but still very informative.

Thanks again.

Zil

Splendid Cnock - rotating it shows how good the brigade sketch map was!

Also goes to illustrate the futility.  The sketch was done in May 1916, your pic over a year later.

Max

rifle.jpg