Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where could Alfred be buried?

Alisonmallen62

I have posted previously regarding great uncle Fairbrother.  He is on the Arras memorial.  8556 Pte A g Fairbrother Royal Warwickshire Regt Kia 10 April 1917.  I realise he could be one of 8 missing in action in the war diary or one of 25 killed or died of wounds and his grave subsequently lost hence being on the memorial.  However, looking at the war diary for 11th batt 10 April there was an order to withdraw south of Maison Rouge to prepare to attack on Brown Line.  Heavy fighting and mention of Les Fosses Farm and Monchy le Preux.  If Alfred died around those places and had been buried which cemetery or area was he likely originally buried?  Is it possible that if there are unknown soldiers in likely graveyards could one be Alfred? It is so sad that he could have been lying in a grave for so long and never been identified.  I am not familiar with the possible graveyards but there is a nagging belief he was buried.  I think that info must have been from his brother in the same battalion or my husband's grandfather - he died in 1956 before my husband was born in '65 so now there is no one left to ask in the family. 

Further if anyone is visiting Arras memorial could they very kindly get a photo if possible of Alfred's name in bay 3 please? 

Just realised posted in medals by mistake

Alison. the same might be said of the 76000 on theipval memorial and other memorials

I realise that but was hoping for a little more response from someone who may be familiar with burial places around mentioned areas.  I know it is a long shot but every possible avenue is worth pursuing in my eyes.  

Sorry if my reply seemed rude but it seemed the only way to word it, The war diary that may be available to download from TNA £3.50may contain maps showing locations of nearest cemetries, If not it should give map refs or where they were and then you maybe able to download trench maps from other sites.

A shot in the dark here....the 11th Battalion recorded death/burials for 10th of April 1917 are as follows:-

image.png.c6e782caa98ea33af080444c9e1d7bbf.png

Source : CWGC

This might narrow down your search criteria a wee bit.

As A G Fairbrother is reported Killed in Action that day I would suggest that Feuchy Chapel would be a good place to start as the others seem to be used by field ambulances or the like.....

Edited by Rollerbeadle
additional Info

Thank you for this help I will see what I can find, very much appreciated.

Looking at 'Laughton' posts gives me some hope Alfred is buried or was buried and perhaps moved and identification lost.  

Alison look for those named by laughton and look at graves registration  sheet to see if they were re buried it might also have unnamed as well,

Ok will do many thanks and fingers crossed

From cwgc about the cemetry,a lot of unknowns buried there,

2x cems with similar names,

History Information

Wancourt was captured on 12 April 1917 after very heavy fighting, lost in March 1918, and retaken by the Canadian Corps on the following 26 August. The cemetery was begun by the VI Corps Burial Officer in May 1917, used at intervals until March 1918, and again in August and September 1918. At the Armistice, it contained 249 graves, all in the present Plot I. It was then enlarged when 834 graves (mainly of April and May 1917) were brought in from the battlefields of Fampoux, Roeux, Monchy and Wancourt, and from a few smaller burial grounds, including:- FEUCHY CHAPEL QUARRY CEMETERY, FEUCHY, about 200 metres North of "Feuchy Chapel", containing the graves of 17 soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in April, 1917; and;- GUILDFORD TRENCH CEMETERY, TILLOY-LES-MOFFLAINES, between Blangy and Tilloy, containing the graves of 24 soldiers from the United Kingdom (mainly of the 12th Division) who fell on the 9th April, 1917. There are now 1,103 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War in this cemetery. 578 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to 14 casualties known or believed to be buried among them. Other special memorials commemorate six casualties buried in Feuchy Chapel Quarry Cemetery, whose graves were destroyed by shell fire. The cemetery was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.

Edited by johnboy

I do think there is a possibility Alfred is buried particularly as his brother must have been aware as he was in the same area at the time.  I wonder if he was one whose grave was destroyed by shellfire and by the time graves were relocated his name ended up on the Arras memorial.  However it also is quite possible he is there waiting to be identified. Thank you for the assistance much appreciated.

I am busy today but will look again this eveningat the sheets. Similar names of cemetryand burials might be worth looking t. \I think his original burial place was known,found buthe ground seems to have seen a lot of fighting during the war,Itis possible a marker was found for him and maybe a body found but with no identification.

Cant see this on previous posts so forgive me if this has been mentioned.

• Look at all who have a known grave from Rollerbeadle's list in post 5.
  • Specifically look at each of their concentration burial records (on their CWGC database entry) if they have one
  • Refer to the map coordinates from where they were exhumed and plot them on a trench map from the time
  • Often directly above and below the soldier in question on the concentration burial list are 'unknown solders'. The notes field on the far right can sometimes have remarks of items which were not quite enough to make a positive ID. Plot these on the same map
  • If you know his company, or have reference to where he was when he fell (such as a letter published in newspapers), build that into your findings to try and narrow down which ones are / are not him
  • See who is left and they are the favourite candidates

Always a very long shot, usually with no firm findings at the end of it and given the difference between the numbers of fallen compared to the numbers of 'Unknown' graves, there is also a chance he was not recovered of course

However,you may end up with a grave / selection of graves to focus your attention on when you next visit the cemetery

Thank you all been with my aunt today ref the Cardiff roll of honour post but will get into further research ASAP 

Dnt be worrying now you have a lot on at the moment but very grateful for your help