Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

condronjames

Hello

My Great Uncle Herbert Guiver was killed near the Somme on 17 February 1916. He is buried in Sucrerie Military Cemetery. I wondered if anyone had any photographs of the cemetery taken during or shortly after the Great War.

Thanks

James

I am sure someone will be along to help you soon James.  I was in Sucrerie last year.

Casualty of the Great War,he was a Serjeant in the 2nd Bn.,The Essex Regiment-Service No:6648, killed in action. He enlisted at Stratford, east London.

He is commemorated at Southend-on-Sea police station in Victoria Avenue because he had been a police officer at the outbreak of war.

426EEB66-E594-41E3-9392-03FCCD0D13C0.jpeg

Thanks for the reply. I went there in the week of the centenary of Herbert’s death in 2016. It’s a beautiful spot. 

I’ve been in touch with the Essex Police Museum who were very helpful in providing me information, and also a second photo of Herbert. 

Thanks again.

James 

GUIVER, Herbert, Sergeant 6648, 2nd Essex Regiment

Born at Chadwell Heath, Sergeant Guiver lived at 'Ceylon', Honition Road, Southend-on-Sea. He served in the Boer War, and was called up as a reservist in August 1914. He was killed by a shell on 18th February 1916 aged 33 after nine months at the front. He was serving in the Borough Police Force at the outbreak and had also been stationed at Shoeburyness under the Rochford Hundred Police Force. when he enlisted he was a first class constable. He was described by his officer as 'One of my bravest non-commissioned officers'. His name was on the Roll of Honour displayed during the memorial service held at St. Erkenwald's church in 1917 and is also commemorated on the St. Erkenwald's war memorial.

Southend Standard 21/2/1916 & 29/2/1916 obit. 9/3/1916 photo. 5/4/1917 memorial service.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

Thanks Andy. I regularly visit the war memorial that used to be situated outside of St Erkenwalds, now moved to a cemetery in Southend. But the memorial service is new information for me. I’d like to try to find out more information about it.

Also, always on the lookout for group photos of the 2nd Battalion of the Essex Regiment to seenif I can find Herbert in them. I don’t even know what Company he was in though. 

James 

• 1 year later...

Evening everyone 

Picking up an old thread here. Can anyone point me to where I might find scans of the Southend Standard on the dates mentioned above please?

Southend Standard 21/2/1916 & 29/2/1916 obit. 9/3/1916 photo. 5/4/1917 memorial service

I’ve done a fair bit of research into Herbert Guiver (as mentioned above) but don’t think I’ve seen these documents (in particular the reference to the memorial at St Erkenwald and the obit/photo.

Thanks for your help.

James 

• 2 years later...

Hello all

I’ve never had any joy with finding photographs of Sucrerie Military Cemetery, either during or shortly after the war. I’ve been contacted the CWGC but they only have a photo dating to the 50s. Can anyone help please?

Thanks

James 

15 minutes ago, Acknown said:

Is this it? https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205323356 - © IWM Q 78596.

185489629_IWMQ78596.jpg.3864669001c95b6ebe63b0d83ac71bd3.jpg

Also this: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205323355 - © IWM Q 78595.

Acknown

Thanks for these @Acknown, but afraid not. There’s another cemetery with Sucrerie in the name, which is in the photos. I’m after Sucrerie Military Cemetery, Colincamps 

Aha. I thought it was too easy.

Acknown

Yes, made the mistake looking for a headstone picture for a forum member.went to wrong one, easily done