Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Cnock

HILL 60,open air museum in the Interbellum

Cnock

Cnock

Cnock

simond9x

Great photos, thanks for posting. I’m away from home at the moment so don’t have access to reference material. Do you know where exactly this would have been?

Michael Haselgrove

Cnock,

Many thanks for taking the trouble to post these excellent photographs.  I have really enjoyed looking at them, especially as the quality is superb.  It is almost unimaginable how things have changed and that visitors were allowed so close to rifles, grenades etc.!

Regards,

Michael. 

mebu

Can't place it with the terrain, and it doesn't look like a front line position (which Hill 60 was). Certainly could be Hindenburg Line works....but at Zillebeke? There was a post-war museum at Hill 60, but the pics I've seen look rather different.

Interesting, and a bit of a quandary.

Peter

nigelcave

When I first went to the Western Front, back in 1968, my father was a bit disappointed with Hill 60 as we found it then. He visited there in 1937 (with my grandfather, who served throughout the war - well, from 1 September 1914), then the same age as I was in 1968, and recalled dugout/tunnel systems with equipment etc and so was somewhat put out by the fact that all of that had gone. It certainly would seem to have been a far more 'impressive' site in 1937.

Cnock

Mebu,

I can follow Your thoughts, also have trouble to situate the trenches, but there were trenches kept after WWI at Hill 6O. I will look for pictures of these.

In this case, may be trenches pictured at Sanctuary Wood?

regards,

Cnock.

Cnock

This is 100% Hill 60. In the back the tower where the tourists had a view over Ypres.

001.jpg

Cnock

Nigelcave,

the British dugout visited by Your father

regards,

Cnock

002.jpg

mebu

Hello Eddy  the pics look as though they could well be Hindenburg Line, which was not near Zillebeke. The structures all look like those away from the front line. It is just the Hill 60/Zillebeke bit that confuses me, even though it is printed on the wrapper. I cannot suggest where it may be, but I don't think Hill 60. 

Interesting.

Peter

Edited by mebu

Marilyne

thanks for these pictures !!! they are great!!

@ Nigel & Cnock: I remember visiting some dugouts around Ypres when at Military Academy ... that was BEFORE another visit really sparked my interest in WWI and the Western Front, so around 1998 - 99 . Could it be these dugouts?? I don't think they are still open??? 

M.

AOK4
39 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

thanks for these pictures !!! they are great!!

@ Nigel & Cnock: I remember visiting some dugouts around Ypres when at Military Academy ... that was BEFORE another visit really sparked my interest in WWI and the Western Front, so around 1998 - 99 . Could it be these dugouts?? I don't think they are still open??? 

M.

That was undoubtedly Bremen Redoubt near the brickworks in Zonnebeke.

Cnock

Hello Peter,

yes, I think the editor of the cards fooled the tourists by adding the words 'Hill 60, Zillebeke' to cards originally destined for the Hindenburg line.

one thing is sure, this cards were sold at Ypres!

Eddu

AOK4

If the bunkers are built with concrete bricks (which seems to be the case as far as I can see), then the bunkers are not the Hindenburg Line in France... Also the iron rods sticking out are definitely not typical for bunkers built in the Hindenburg Line.

I would say the bunkers are somewhere in the area (Palingbeek?).

mebu

Jan, yes Palingbeek is a distinct possibility.

However the use of concrete blocks does not preclude the Hindenburg Line, if you look at the pics you will see that most of the structures look to be solid in-situ concrete with some blocks for rear walls. Not uncommon for defences anywhere. Not sure how the reinforcement is "not typical". You are probably aware that many materials and designs were used in the Hindenburg Line.

I am quite happy that the publisher may have added "Hindenburg Line" to Palingbeek - not Hill 60 - photos.

Peter

Marilyne
14 hours ago, AOK4 said:

That was undoubtedly Bremen Redoubt near the brickworks in Zonnebeke.

Bedankt !! 

M.

Cnock

Hello,

does any one has fotographic or written evidence of bunkers at the Palingbeek visited by tourists during the Interbellum?

regards,

Cnock

nigelcave
On 06/09/2018 at 08:14, Cnock said:

Nigelcave,

the British dugout visited by Your father

regards,

Cnock

Many thanks for that - a shame he is not around to see the evidence that he was not imagining things!

Nigel

mebu

Have been trying to match the photos: I do not think they are Palingbeek, the structures and the topography do not match what is there now.

There are however 2 strong possibilities nearby, which could have been described as Zillebeke, but definitely not Hindenburg Line. In the area between Armagh Wood and Battle Wood - nowadays Zwarteleen and Gasthuisbossen, in what was Image Row area, are 2 lines of ruined bunkers. Marked on the map attached, bunkers in red. I don't have sufficient photos to do a proper match, and there are only a couple on the Inventaris, but I strongly suspect the original photos are one of those. Should be easy to match photos with existing vestiges, would require a walk in the woods to determine, sadly I cannot do that but there's a job for someone when in the area.

img313_LI.jpg

AOK4

I've learnt yesterday that this Hindenburg Line site was an extra site, completely ready to open for public around 1940. Postcards had been printed etc. Unfortunately war broke out, so the site was closed down again and all trenches filled up.

The location is believed to have been close to the Hollebeke football field (east south east of Hill 60).