Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

? Home unit

Neal

Hello all,

There has been some great help on this site regarding researching my GGrandfather. 

Thought I’d try my luck with this photo ! 

Its the unit my GG Grandfather served in. Ernest Beale. However I know he did not serve overseas. In fact he was the landlord of the Prince George of Cumberland in Albany Street (For those who helped me with my G Grandfather Percy Stocker - it was Ernest Beales daughter who became my G Grandmother after she met Percy in the pub where she worked as a barmaid!!) 

Ernest Beale is the chap seated far right in the picture. 

I have been trying to find out about this unit but it’s proving difficult. Can’t seem to find any info.

I think it must be a reserve type unit and given the ‘Royal’ is there the photo must be from 1918 or after. 

Has anyone come across this unit or similar ? 

2DD37CBB-16F0-450C-AC0E-D8D56FF5B3E6.jpeg

Edited by Neal

Hello Neal

The (V) indicates that it is a Volunteer unit. These were formed late in the war from men who were not eligible for conscription (usually through age or disability) and who were used on home defence duties. They were a bit like the Home Guard of WW2.

Because they did not serve abroad, they did not keep War Diaries, so I am afraid that information about them is likely to be hard to find. You could try asking the Middlesex County Archives whether they have any information on this unit.

Ron

Thanks Ron! 

Makes sense - he was a bit too old to get conscripted by this time. 

The pub he ran was the Prince George of Cumberland in Albany Street next to Albany Barracks so I bet there were a few roudy nights in his pub! 

1 hour ago, Neal said:

Thanks Ron! 

Makes sense - he was a bit too old to get conscripted by this time. 

The pub he ran was the Prince George of Cumberland in Albany Street next to Albany Barracks so I bet there were a few roudy nights in his pub! 

Small world! My father's cousin, whom we often visited, lived on the other side of the barracks. We always walked up Albany Street from Great Portland Street underground station, so I never knew the pub was there.

Ron

Good link Dave - I came across this before ! Great photos of the pub! 

Would have been nice to see it full of soldiers during WW1! 

Small world indeed Ron