Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jeancourt Communal Cemetery Extension

laughton

These ZIP files were made for @WiseMonkey. I have not checked them myself for any UNKNOWNS at this time but I will do that shortly!

These are the ZIP files for the GRRF and COG-BR documents.

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/oachb1mmcwil2/Jeancourt_Communal_Cemetery_Extension

Jeancourt was a German hospital centre and the extension to the communal cemetery was used alternately by Commonwealth and German troops; a substantial German plot remains in the north-western part. The Commonwealth burials, made by the 59th (North Midland) Division and other fighting troops, began in April 1917, continued until February 1918, and were resumed in September 1918. Further burials were added after the Armistice when graves, almost all of March and September 1918, were brought in from the surrounding battlefields and from the following smaller cemetery:- POEUILLY BRITISH CEMETERY, was 200 metres South of the village of Poeuilly and contained the graves of 27 soldiers from the United Kingdom and one from Australia, who fell in September and October, 1918. The extension now contains 492 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War. 207 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to two casualties believed to be buried among them. The extension also contains 168 German burials. 

The DAL tells us that Poeuilly British Cemetery was located at 62c.Q.28.d.8.2.

Edited by laughton
tip from Spof to use @WiseMonkey - learn something new every day!

There are four (4) candidates (CWGC Link) for the 12th Bn AIF man KIA 18 September 1918 and found in grave 3.B.13 (COG-BR 2013677). That might not seem to be much help until you notice that there are two (2) more on the same page in graves 1.E.20-21. On the GRRF documents, the first one is not recorded in detail and then Ferguson in 1.E.19 is changed to 13th Battalion (need to check that). If we find the others then we have the four men. Now I see that on the same page there are two (2) more at the top in 3.B.1 and 3.B.2. This looks like a case for a "Special Memorial" (what type to be determined).

If you were a fan of M.A.S.H., you will see that Australian Sergeant Muldoon is buried in grave 1.E.15.

The group with the unknown officer and several unknown NCO's needs to be investigated further (COG-BR 2013688).

Note that many of the Unknown A.I.F. were initially marked "Unknown British Soldier". My guess is that there are thousands of men of the other commonwealth countries that lie under stones marked as UBS.

There are no known men of the Rifle Brigade in this cemetery, but a lot of them in the "Unknown Class". Several are Officers, so if you are missing an ancestor from that regiment, better visit this cemetery!

Back to the 4 men of the 12th Battalion Australian - they are now in a separate post in "Recovering the Fallen".

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/264261-jeancourt-communal-cemetery-extension-12th-battalion-aif/

Edited by laughton
moved the details to a separate topic

I just noticed this morning that there are cases already before the CWGC for the remains here:

1. Plot 1 Row B Grave 1  Case #355 - Unknown British Soldier 9th Lancers (no date on COG-BR but GRRF shows 12 March 1918)
  2. Plot 3 Row B Grave 7 Case #429 - Unknown Lance Corporal 12th Battalion AIF 18 September 1918

The candidate for the Lance Corporal is from the 10th Battalion, so he did not show up on our search for those of the 12th Battalion lost on that date (see this topic):

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/264261-jeancourt-communal-cemetery-extension-12th-battalion-aif

• 1 month later...
On 04/09/2018 at 07:46, laughton said:

The group with the unknown officer and several unknown NCO's needs to be investigated further (COG-BR 2013688).

I noticed this again while pulling details on the Australians with NKG in the other topic. I should mark these to check:

1. 1.B.19 62c.L.20.c.4.3 Unknown British Lieutenant
  2. 1.B.20 62c.L.20.c.4.3 Unknown British Serjeant Major

Pte. A. J. Moss that is with them has a death date of 21 March 1918.

A quick check of the CWGC site shows no Serjeant Majors missing in France in 1918 (CWGC Link). There are well over 100 Company Serjeant Majors missing in 1918 (CWGC Link)

1. 5.A.1.62c.L.13.c.3.7 Serjeant of East Lancs - and in same area as Pte. Ayres 2/5 East Lancs 21-March 1918 COG-BR 2013698
    We won't find him as all six (6) Serjeants of that unit killed at that time are missing an on the Pozieres Memorial (CWGC Link).
  2. 4.D.10 62c.R.5.c.3.4 Unknown 2nd Lieutenant of the Rifle Brigade COG-BR 2013712
    A group of them (10), with another Officer and Serjeant all from the Rifle Brigade in a close location 62c.R.4.d.9.4 on COG-BR 2013714. Graves 6.C.1-7 and 4.D.12-14.
    Another Rifle Brigade Officer in 6.D.7 COG-BR 2013738

• 6 months later...
On 07/09/2018 at 20:32, laughton said:

I just noticed this morning that there are cases already before the CWGC for the remains here:

1. Plot 1 Row B Grave 1  Case #355 - Unknown British Soldier 9th Lancers (no date on COG-BR but GRRF shows 12 March 1918)
  2. Plot 3 Row B Grave 7 Case #429 - Unknown Lance Corporal 12th Battalion AIF 18 September 1918

The candidate for the Lance Corporal is from the 10th Battalion, so he did not show up on our search for those of the 12th Battalion lost on that date (see this topic):

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/264261-jeancourt-communal-cemetery-extension-12th-battalion-aif

FromFallen Diggers

Some Great News, Andrew and I received notification by OAWG and UWC-A today that one of our cases was approved. Lance Corporal Leslie Herbert Broadbent 4446 10th Battalion MM is no longer missing. He was buried in Jeancourt and accidentally identified as a 12th Bn L/cpl. Our research showed it couldn't have been a 12th Bn L/Cpl and that it only could of been a 10th Bn L/Cpl. Jeancourt Communal Cemetery Plot III. B. 7, So Stand Down Soldier , Your duty is done. R.I.P knowing you have been found.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/630042353723546?view=permalink&id=2449903055070791