The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching Royal Irish Rifles

larneman

I was sent these lines which have to do with the RIR.

Are these record numbers at the NA? Are they also to be found in NI at the PRONI.

Nominal Roll (1914) of 11 (Service) Battalion The Royal Irish Rifles (South Antrim Volunteers) [ACC: 831/2896/3957]

Nominal Roll (1914) of 13 (Service) Battalion The Royal Irish Rifles (Co. Down Volunteers) [ACC: 3468]

Nominal Roll with details of Next of Kin (1915) of 14 (Service) Battalion The Royal Irish Rifles (Young Citizen Volunteers) [ACC:2003]

War Diary:- 14 (Service) Battalion The Royal Irish Rifles (Young Citizen Volunteers) WW1 [ACC:876]

Battalion Part I Orders 1915-16 for 20 (Reserve) Battalion The Royal Irish Rifles. [ACC:919]

Any information would be welcome.

Liam

Hi Larneman,

Your number system looks like the old PRO ones but cannot find most of them.Did find this one though but no correlation in the number.

WO 95/2511 14 Battalion Royal Irish Rifles 1915 Oct. - 1918 Feb

Roop

Guest 2contemptable

Hello Liam,

They look like accession numbers to me, you could try the Rifles Museum at Waring Street in Belfast. They should be able to confirm whether they have the items on your list (and I suspect they do) or, they will be able to tell you where they are held. I have always found them to be very helpful indeed, if you intend visiting them they do require some notice to enable them to get you some reading space and to retreive the documents you need.

You can take a look at their website which lists some of the records held at the museum, stick ROYAL ULSTER RIFLES MUSEUM in the search box and you should get it.

Good luck

James

Thanks James.

I found the records listed at http://rurmuseum.tripod.com/library.htm

Next time I get back to NI I will plan a trip to Belfast and vist the Museum.

Again thanks James and Roop for the NA lookup

Liam