Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Were any railway occupations "reserved"?

Wexflyer

I have failed to find a list of reserved occupations during the Great War. I am interested in seeing such a list, and specifically if any railway occupations were reserved.

Thanks

It varied at different times.

Nov 15
image.png.44bbaa94fa331125afde6bccad93a38d.png

I do have some lists somewhere from the MSA period but can't find them at the moment.

Craig

Hopefully you are aware of the formation of the the 17th(Service)Bn,Northumberland Fusiliers(North Eastern Railways - Pioneers), which was formed by the North Eastern Railways at Hull in September 1914 and consisted entirely of N.E.R. Railwaymen. The Depot Companys of this Battalion also went onto form the 32nd(Reserve)Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers at Ripon in November 1915, again many of them N.E.R. Railwaymen. All of the occupations of these men, within the N.E.R., could be found within the North Eastern Railway Magazine, as could those of others who served.

It appears apparent from the History of this Battalion that railwaymen weren't in a 'Reserved' occupation initially, as over 2,000 N.E.R. men went onto enlist in both the Army and Royal Navy just days after War being declared. The same also applied to coalminers, who weren't in a 'Reserved' occupation and who enlisted in their thousands, to the point where the Northumberland and Durham coalfields were being run by the very young lads and old men and on the verge of collapse, hence the introduction of women into the coalfields as surface workers.

My grandfather was an 18 year old Carter with the Midland Railway, shown as reserved, who enlisted in November 1914. He returned to the Midland in February 1919 although about 100 miles away from his pre war posting.

Interestingly, I have an 18 pounder Cartridge Case that was annealed at the railway works at Darlington, so railway workshop workers were essential in keeping the armaments industry going.  With so much expertise in making brass fittings for the locomotives and carriages, were these workers deemed to be in 'reserved' occupations?

V/R

Wayne