Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Geertsen

I picked this up yesterday. It looks to be a ship's badge from HMS Orion and is extremely heavy. 

Does anyone know anything about these badges / plaques? I'm quite interested to know if 'BARGE' written on the back refers to anything? Does anyone else have one similar they can post pictures of.

Thank you!

IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

Probably the badge of the 1932 cruiser HMS ORION. It may have been on the Flag Oficer's/Captain's barge but also appears to marked MB2 (for Orion's 2nd Motor Boat).

Not Great War.

Edited by horatio2

47 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Probably the badge of the 1932 cruiser HMS ORION. It may have been on the Flag Oficer's/Captain's barge but also appears to marked MB2 (for Orion's 2nd Motor Boat).

Not Great War.

Thank you horatio2, that's interesting. I couldn't make sense of the 'MB2' so that's a great help.

44 minutes ago, Jrmh said:

Great find! Thanks Jrmh.

4 minutes ago, PhilB said:

Could it have been from the 1910 dreadnought Orion?

Not as an official badge, Phil - the Ships' Names and Badges Committee first met on 5 December 1918.

Didn't ships have badges before then?:unsure:

Edit-

Only unofficial ones before then and the pentagonal shape confirms cruiser!

Edited by PhilB

Hence my "not as an official badge" :)

• 5 months later...

Possibly a gun tompion,  Orion - The battleship that is was equipped with 13.5 inch main guns.   So if its about that size it would confirm it.

All RN ships used tompions to try and prevent the ingress of water down the barrel.  Being obsessed with polishing and painting the RN used decorative wood and brass /bronze stoppers. The Army made made do with canvas sleeves.  

• 1 year later...
On 13/02/2019 at 05:03, Gunner Hall said:

Possibly a gun tompion,  Orion - The battleship that is was equipped with 13.5 inch main guns.   So if its about that size it would confirm it.

All RN ships used tompions to try and prevent the ingress of water down the barrel.  Being obsessed with polishing and painting the RN used decorative wood and brass /bronze stoppers. The Army made made do with canvas sleeves.  

What would this tompion fetch at auction?

That was on ebay nearly two years ago and I am not sure how much it went for if it actually sold. 

There are one or two for sale on ebay at the moment but I am unsure whether they are original or replicas.  A 12" dia tompion claimed to be from HMS Revenge is being offered at £2000 or make an offer.     https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HMS-Revenge-Main-Battery-Tompion/302972145645?hash=item468a8c0fed:g:sLoAAOSwuNNb-rdR

12 minutes ago, Swinesheadvillage said:

I think I would steer clear of this sale. Wasn't HMS Revenge fitted with 15 inch guns? D

Exactly so-   virtually every calibre of gun-except,of course, 12".  Main armament was definitely 15".   The National Maritime Museum holds a 1915 pattern tompion for Revenge:

image.png.caedbc056975cdcd7232480c261afea3.png

(With thanks to NMM)

Dimensions given of diameter 400 mil  suggest this is a 15" tompion. Note says design may have varied from naval norm.  But 3" out on calibre is a bit of bummer!!  Quite possible that Ebay item is an earlier or later version but the griffin seems to be wrong every time.

However, could well be from another 15"-gunned ship- get out the ships crests books forthwith!

Throwing some petrol into this discussion, what size was the main armament of the previous HMS Revenge to the WW1 ship?

I know that a quick look on the internet will give me answers but I couldn't resist it.

The 1896 Revenge did have 13.5 inch guns, but wiki has an entry:-

In September and October 1914, she was refitted at Portsmouth for this mission (shore bombardment), which included relining her 13.5-inch guns down to 12 inches (305 mm),[11] improving their range by about 1,000 yards (914 meters).'

I suspect that the ebayer may have got his Revenges mixed. D

2 minutes ago, Swinesheadvillage said:

I suspect that the ebayer may have got his Revenges mixed.

I would still be happier if there was another example with provenance of this possible variant

I think I was being unusually charitable in these strange times. The writing on the back of the tampion is very un Navy like, and the wavy lines under the Griffin don't match any Revenge crest I can find. D

20210118_205257.jpg.7754d9681cff77d38490961856aa09b1.jpg

I would still be happier if there was another example with provenance of this possible variant

It weighs 2kg on plaque it does look to be old and almost 7 inches across.

20210118_204951.jpg

20210118_204933.jpg