Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Merchant Navy ID card help, please.

Twiglet

Some time ago, you lovely people told me that my ancestor was dressed in hospital blues in a photo I posted.  I've often wondered why, as he was only 14 when WW1 broke out, and seemingly very young for active service, (although I know a lot of men and boys told porkies about their age).

Anyway, my cousin has found a C10 ID card showing this chap, which relates to the Merchant Navy.  Can anyone shed more light on what his rating was, or what service he might have seen.  His name was Harry Tallowin - (I've posted the original photo again - he's on the right as you look at it.)

Thanks in advance.

Twiglet

Harry Tallowin in 'Hospital Blues'.jpg

Henry Tallowin ID.jpg

The MoD have a retained service file for an H Tallowin born 3/11/1900 which must be him ?

Service number    394464
Unit         Auxiliary Military Pioneer Corps

Charlie

Edit. You can make an application (cost 30 pounds) for a copy of the file using the link I posted at the start.
Edited by charlie962

His rating is Trimmer who worked in the stokehold. If you put Trimmer in the Forum search engine it will bring up lots on the subject.

ARABIS.

Cousin has turned up some more info.  Looks like he was also in the Tank Corps after WW1 up til WW2. 

Sounds like he did Charlie!

Edited by Twiglet

Yes, he did Charlie - I've got all their information.  They're the ones in my signature.  Once again the people on here were extremely helpful with regard to them.  William's the chap in my avatar.

Edited by Twiglet

Seemingly the Auxiliary Military Pioneer Corps wasn't formed until 1939 ?

From the Royal Pioneer Corps site

In WW2 the Labour Corps was reformed but due to the association with Labour it was named Auxiliary Military Pioneer Corps on 17 October 1939 out of the six group headquarters and 48 companies then existing, who had been sent to France with the BEF in the first week of the war. The units were the same as the Labour Companies in WW1 but no Employment Companies were formed as the HQ had their own establishment and personnel working within depots etc were drawn from Pioneer Companies. Direct enlistment into the Corps began that day. In December 1939 a Director of Auxiliary Pioneer Services was appointed who worked under the Director of Recruiting and Organisation. Enemy Aliens were recruited into the Pioneer Corps and over 10,000 Germans, Austrians and Italians were recruited. Some fought in BEF in 1939, 1940. They served in Alien Companies but by 1942 when their loyalty was confirmed many were allowed to transfer to the Fighting Arms (No 10 Command and the 2 Pathfinder Parachute Companies) were all Germans. Many were commissioned into all three services.

Yes, got him (Edward).  Most of the Tallowins who served in WW1 I've got info on, one drowned in a canal and one was awarded the DCM & Croix de Guerre.  Harry has always been a bit of a mystery, we literally had no info on him until today.  Now he's proving very interesting!

I think I will have to bite the bullet and apply for his service papers.  Navy & Army!

Edited by Twiglet

3 minutes ago, Twiglet said:

I will have to bite the bullet and apply for his service papers

Yes, It may or may not be illuminating but at least there is a file. Do please let us know what it reveals.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

It looks like the ships he served on, as shown on his CR10 card, were Grampian (built 1907), official number 124220, and Montcalm (built 1917), official number 140349.

Dave W

GRAMPIAN and MONTCALM were both owned by Canadian Pacific Steamships which operated both of them on its service between British ports and Canadian east coast ports, particularly Quebec and Montreal on the St. Lawrence River.  The former was burnt out at Antwerp in 1921, while the latter was renamed BOLINGBROKE in 1920 and broken up in 1934.

• 3 months later...

Right, I've now got Henry Tallowin's death certificate, which will enable me to order up the details of his military service.  Will I get much more information from that I've already got though? 

I alluded to the fact above that he was in the Tank Corp - the info I have on that is attached.  

Thanks.  

Tallowin Tank1.jpg

Tallowin Tank2.jpg