Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gloucester Cathedral: musicians, poets and others.

seaJane

Finzi had no direct GW connection, but his tutor was E.B. Farrar who was killed at Le Cateau. Finzi's and Gurney's windows are side by side.

The last window commemorates Herbert Sumsion, Queen's Westminster Rifles 1917-1919.

IMG_20180829_204330.jpg

IMG_20180829_204134.jpg

IMG_20180829_203612.jpg

IMG_20180829_203430.jpg

IMG_20180829_203330.jpg

IMG_20180829_203244.jpg

IMG_20180829_203126.jpg

IMG_20180829_203541.jpg

IMG_20180829_162705.jpg

IMG_20180829_163314.jpg

Nice photographs Jane.

Some 15 years ago, I attended a relative's funeral at Twigworth Church in Gloucestershire, and during the burial I found that I was standing next to Ivor Gurney's grave. Gurney's grave is nicely marked "Composer" and "Poet of the Severn and the Somme".

It is my intention to revisit the Churchyard to photograph Ivor Gurney grave, as well as that of my relative, but I am rarely in that part of the world now.

• Admin

Lovely photos  Jane. I've only ever visited the Cathedral in November as that is when the university of Gloucestershire hold their Graduation days. Both of Toms Graduations have been on dull cold days. It's good to see the jewel like windows in their splendour.

Michelle 

There is another WW1 connection: Ralph Vaughan Williams, whose memorable Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis was written for the Three Choirs Festival (thopugh possibly premiered at Hereford or Worcester).

Ron

Thanks Ron :)

When I was at Worcester Cathedral Library a few years ago I was shown a programme for one of the Red Cross fundraising concerts at which Edward Elgar conducted, and was allowed to hold his baton. Gave me a real frisson.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, seaJane said:

Thank you!

SJ, since you mentioned Worcester, although Woodbine Willie was not musical of course, but may be of interest.

IMG_4205.JPG

IMG_4193.jpg

IMG_4101.JPG

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Thanks for that, Terry!

I believe I saw Elgar's memorial and Studdert Kennedy's - he wrote poetry so I am happy to have him included - but missed the choristers' window.

Also in the cloisters at Worcester are the memorial windows of inter alia Evelyn Southwell, Rifle Brigade (see Andy's extensive topic), the Isaac brothers and their brother-in-law, Lt.-Col Wodehouse, the Fallen of King's School, Worcester, of the cathedral choir and voluntary choir and of the bell ringers.

Pal Kitchener's Bugle has done an excellent photo essay - see link below - to which I added some additional material ...

Plan of Worcester Cathedral (not Gloucester!)

5ac8bfa98a08c_WorcesterCathedralfloorpla

It has been pointed out to me that the upper row of lights in the Herbert Sumsion memorial window is actually a memorial to Herbert Howells (1892-1983: friend and contemporary of Ivor Gurney; did not serve in the forces after a diagnosis of Graves' disease). I plead inability to see, as I couldn't get the chair in to the chapel!