Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military hospital registers

Kemrl5

Hello, this might be an easy question to answer. What does the "Completed Months with Field Force" column mean on Military Hospital Admission and Discharge Registers.

Does it refer to the total time spent overseas or the time spent with their current unit (such as the 8th Royal Fusiliers)?

Thank you

I have always taken it as the time since they first went overseas.  But how breaks in service overseas or changes in Theatre were dealt with I don't know.

It should be treated with caution as it can be wildly out. But in the absence of a service record or a Star, there's nothing else to go on.

Interested to hear others' comments.

Charlie

My great grandfather first went overseas on 23rd February 1915. He was wounded a month later in late March 1915 and again in early July 1916. On the 1916 register his "Completed Months with Field Force" is written as 11 months. By this point he was with a different battalion.

If it was when he first went overseas it should be written as over a year.

So I'm assuming it includes his first month overseas and then begins again when he returns from being wounded around September 1915 however, on my part, this is supposition.