Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Cavalry Journal - Palestine campaign articles

Eran Tearosh

Over the years, I came across several references to articles published in the Cavalry Journal (British) relating to 

mounted actions during the Palestine Campaign. Most of these references are connected to Lt-Col Rex Osborne 

and were published in the early 1920's. 

Can anyone help me find these articles, either on the internet or scans?

Thanks, Eran 

If you do not know the volumes of the Cavalry Journal  (British publication) in which the articles are contained, this link will give you an index of the articles in each volume, up to Volume 23.

http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/library/browse/series.xhtml?recordId=2764

However, there are no dates given for the volumes. They seem to have been published yearly from 1906, with nothing 1915-1919, so Volume 9 is 1914, and Volume 10 is 1920.

Cheers

Maureen

Edited by Maureene

Hello Eran,

I have copies of three Palestine-related articles from The Cavalry Journal:

The Yeomanry at Huj, 8th November 1917, by Maj Oskar Teichman DSO MC TD, late MO Queen's Own Worcestershire Hussars (undated typescript copy)

The Yeomanry at Ballin and at El Mughar, by Maj Oskar Teichman DSO MC TD, late MO Queen's Own Worcestershire Hussars (photocopy of October 1937 edition)

Two Cavalry Episodes in the Palestine Campaign, 1917-1918, by General Sir George De S Barrow GCB KCMG (photocopy of October 1936 edition).  This one covers Judean Mountains 18-29 November 1917 - sadly I don't have the second part which covers the other 'episode'.

If you (or indeed anyone else!) would like scans or photocopies, please message me.

Cheers

Stuart

I have some bound copies of the Journal, dating to the 20's. I will have a look at them over the weekend.

Thank you everyone!

Maureene - As always, you're a treasure! I'll dive into that and it will help me build a wishlist. 

Stuart - That's great! Could please scan these and send them to me? 

Steven - Thank you in advance!

Eran

In addition, and a bit urgent, I'm trying to find these articles:

Cavalry Journal XI.   1921 - 'Operations of the Mounted Troops of the E.E.F.', by Lt-Col. Rex Osborne

Cavalry Journal XII.  1922 - 'Operations of the Mounted Troops of the E.E.F.', by Lt-Col. Rex Osborne

Cavalry Journal XIII. 1923 - 'Operations of the Mounted Troops of the E.E.F.', by Lt-Col. Rex Osborne

Thanks again, everyone!

Eran

Volume 11 and 12 are In the Public Domain in the USA and are available full view on HathiTrust if you are in the USA or a country that is regarded as equivalent from a copyright aspect, (not available where I live in Australia, nor would be in the UK), or perhaps you may have access through the use of a proxy server.

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/012177767

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/010324628

Cheers

Maureen

Edited by Maureene

• 3 weeks later...

Eran, I have (finally) managed to look. I have bound volumes of the Journal for 1921, 22 and 23: each volume contains three editions of the Journal (January, July and October) and the Operations of the Mounted Troops of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force appear in each of the nine Journals. Interestingly, the first part was by Lt Col W J Foster, CB, CMG, DSO (Australian Military Forces), as was part 2. Part 3 was by Lt Col J G Browne, CMG, DSO (14th Hussars), and Osborne only took over for part 4 and subsequently.

The only problem with copying them is that the lot runs to 150+ pages so a bit of a marathon session, one way or another - each part is between 12 and 15 pages, as far as I can see.Would you like me to copy a few pages to see what you think?

Steven, thanks for the effort!

Yes, I think it's a good idea to start with one part. Hope its too much trouble!

I'll PM you my email address

Eran