Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

East Riding Yeomanry web pages

A completed research project by East Riding of Yorkshire Council's Museums Service has just gone live on our website and can be found here - http://www.museums.eastriding.gov.uk/local-history-online/east-riding-yeomanry/

Along with a summary of the regiment's service during the war, there is a detailed analysis of recruiting patterns, along with details of such things as casualties, reasons for early discharge, medals awarded and disciplinary offences. The pages are linked to a downloadable database covering around 2500 individuals who served with the ERY in the period 1902-1918. There are also links to a number of other related resources.

I'd just like to say a big thank you to all those individuals (including several on this forum) who have contributed knowledge and material to this project, much of it not previously in the public domain. Also my sincere thanks to numerous museums, libraries and archives who have rendered invaluable assistance. Hopefully there will be some material in here that will prove useful to other researchers. It's been a long haul, but hopefully worth it in the end.

David

2001.83.14.36.jpg

Thanks Ian

Hope you get something useful out of it.

David

• 1 year later...
Fred Dallyn

Gentlemen , I am sending this plea for information from the colonies . I purchased at auction a Smith & Wesson 455 pistol and holster . The pistol is as new but the interesting bit is there is a silver disc set into each S&W medallion in each grip. Left side is " From GWS 1916 ". Right side is "TBM E Riding Yeomanry". I would love to know who these people were and something about them . The holster is also interesting . It has had the belt loop removed and 2 brass D rings installed on the back at the top. There is a strap midway down the back to the bottom . Holster is like near new . Looks to have been carried in a harness with a belt thru the bottom , was professionally modified. There are no marks on the holster . Thank you from Vancouver BC , Fred Dallyn.