Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Date of award

fitz_merc

I am researching a family relative Edward Francis Ratliff- Rifle Brigade.  He was awarded the Military Cross and I have located publication in March 1918 in the London Gazette.  Edward was killed  on 2nd December 1917. So he must have been awarded it prior to December.

Is there anywhere I can trace the date when he won the award? Is there somewhere where the Military Cross awards have been collated??

I can then look at the war diaries to get the background to the time/location.

Any help gratefully received.

Mike

2nd Battalion, ex 17614, 13th Northumberland Fusiliers, father Rev. Ratliff of Hereford. Attended Shrewsbury School.

I will have a little look for you in the morning.

Andy

DSC06583.jpg

Thanks Andy

I have the following:

Haydon’s (now Rigg’s), captain of Fives, left in 1914. Enlisting in the 13th Northumberland Fusiliers, he soon was promoted Lance-Corporal, emerged unscathed from the battle of Loos but was subsequently twice wounded and commissioned. Promoted Captain, he was awarded an MC while with the Rifle Brigade. “Calm and confident, as usual, just half an hour before an attack, he was popular and upon the affections of many of his Salopian friends

Also

2nd Lt. Edward Francis Ratliff, Rif. Bde.,Spec. Res.For conspicuous gallantry and devotion' to duty. It was greatly owing to his exceptionalcoolness in a very difficult position that a small party of which he was in charge was able to hold up a large body of the  were working round his flank.

Mike

Dear Mike,

RATLIFF, Edward Francis, MC, 2Lt., 2nd Bn., Rifle Brigade; KiA (Capt.), Ypres, 2 Dec 1917.

MC gazetted in the London Gazette of 18 Oct 1917, page 30340; and on 7 Mar 1918, page 30561 (with Citation).

Source: The MC Register book by Peter Warrington (whom i have tried to contact, without success).

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Mentioned in the War Diary of 9/9/17 for actions of 15th to 17th August 1917, this was just west of the Hannebeek. He was wounded on 16th August. Rejoined the battalion after his wounding on 28/9/17.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

I have his officers papers if you need them.

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 00.16.57.png

many thanks.. I am ploughing through the war diaries online....reached April 1917..going to be a late night

The August action looks promising

Mike

Andy

Brilliant.

Officer papers REQUIRED.  PLEASE

I have been very impressed by the detail that the Rifle Brigade include in their reports.  I am researching a NZ soldier in their Rifle Brigade and their reports are thin in comparison.

Edward's death was through a foolish moonlight attack at 1.30 am on Dec 2nd without preparatory artillery hoping to catch the Germans by surprise.  The German were ready and waiting.....

Yes, there is an excellent book covering the attack called "Moonlight Massacre" great read, very in depth.

OK, he went to number 4 Officer School at Oxford no mention of previous wounds on his record. However his OR record is only an extract oh his AB358 form.

Andy

DSC06580.jpg

I shall order a copy of the book- thank you.

Where/how have you accessed the OR record- (if its not official secret!)

Very grateful

Mike

His officers papers are at The National Archives under file WO339/59200 and can be viewed at Kew. I have all of the RB officers KIA whose files survive photographed and on file plus a lot of those that survived the war. RB is a bit of a thing with me due to an old friend who served with them as an officer and researched/wrote about the Regiment. Heaven knows why as my family are all Life Guards:D on my fathers side.

If you would like a copy of his file let me know.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

I would love a copy of his file and I will share it with other Ratliff descendants if you are happy with that.

I do have a family photograph of Edward just prior to the war at Moccas at the family home in Herefordshire- if that is if interest to you.

Mike

Dr. Brookes-Smith at Shrewsbury, the archivist, might be able to help with a photograph although last time we corresponded he had lot of photo's where he knew who was in them but did not know who was who. We identified a few for him, but only a few. The RB officers that went to Shrewsbury have always been of interest due to two of the teachers there, Evelyn Southwell & Malcolm White, both of who went into the Rifle Brigade and were killed in action.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

I note that D W W baden-Powell joined the Regt in October 1917

Mike, that would be great as I do not have a picture of him.

Andy

I have photographs of Edward when young and around age 17

I also have a wonderful photo of his sister Audrey, who joined the Massage Corps (for injured soldiers) but who died from Spanish flu in 1919.  She is in her official uniform.

Audrey Ratliff.jpg

edward ratliffMC.jpg

Mike,

Thanks, I will start sending his file over to you in the morning by pm if thats ok. If not pm me your e-mail address and I will send then directly there.

I have a photo (not the best quality) of his MC if of any interest and one of the Death Plaque

Thanks, always of interest

Can i thank you again.  You have saved me  a week of research via the diaries.

And I could easily have missed his name knowing me.

Mike

Your email?  I can then forward the original that was emailed to me

Edited by fitz_merc

PM'd my e-mail address to you Mike.

One last thing before I retire. His roll of service with the 2nd states he embarked overseas 16/12/16 and joined the battalion in the field on 26/12/16

Andy

DSC00205.JPG

I will cross reference with the Fusilier record because he went to France in early 1915 and fought at loos-unscathed

went to France 9.9.1915 according to Medal rolls records

Thats just his time in the 2nd RB Mike, not anything before. The regiment has records of all officers service with the battalions.

Andy