Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Four Days Pictures

Marilyne

Just wanted to share some pics from the 4 Days of the Yzer... pictures made with my new little SonyA5100 mirrorless camera... lighter to carry around on a long march. Love it !

DSC00869.thumb.JPG.ab0d823cf6b84951fddb97e641907822.JPG

Day one... Osstduinkerke Nieuwpoort... passing the impressive Albert monument and of course honored the Soldier King! 

DSC00980.JPG.d69bde2d33dfa69c2644b45e7c67d563.JPG

This is the art project "Floating Dreams" on the Yzer tower at Dixmuide... 

DSC00921.thumb.JPG.9b7c79bdf0fe6475e7092cc6ec708d9f.JPG

the Petroleum tanks at Dixmuide

DSC00929.thumb.JPG.04273575082a97d172b62f82df836c28.JPG

Poppy on the Dodengang

DSC01070.thumb.JPG.e7b11fb5930eb17286db18e6e2436401.JPG

Messines Ridge Cemetery

and last but not least... 

DSC01107.thumb.JPG.05e24dddd64bd92894d6384653f35304.JPG

The "Coming World X Remember Me" Project on The Bluff. 

Enjoy!!! 

Marilyne

Thanks for posting.

Good to see parts that I have not visited yet.

GK.

I recognise the trademark MM lying flat on the ground to take the picture technique; very good. Glad to see that you survived after wondering what were you thinking to do the Yser again. Have you given up on cameras the size of rocket launchers or are you using the Sony as a portable alternative?

Pete.

59 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Have you given up on cameras the size of rocket launchers or are you using the Sony as a portable alternative?

Pete.

Let's say the rocket launcher is a bit heavy on the belt of the backpack for hundreds of km on end.... so the Sony is mostly for the marches. 

M.

Takes a nice picture. Hope the now veteran Famous Belgian Marching Bear is recovering from all those kilometers, pass on my regards.

Pete.

• 2 months later...

With regards to the last picture... if anybody did participate in the project and is hoping to get a statuette back... be fast... the thing was opened on monday and people are carrying them off by the dozen... one can only wonder when the first ones will show up on EBay... 

absolute disgrace if you ask me ... 

M.

• 1 month later...

With a little help... I've got my piece of Remembrance-History at home now... 

DSC01446.thumb.JPG.d32e43044d3ea41f9fa3c3be54270b6c.JPG

DSC01445.thumb.JPG.b53ffd258ae4d4be6fc25be208ded73b.JPG

Grumpy old rant coming up,  and perhaps its just me and modern art,   but what on earth does the last art installation The Modern World  etc represent and how in any shape or form does it honour the memory of the Fallen? Or is that not its intention?  SG

Grumyness always accepted... you have a right to ask... 

The CWxRM project was launched nine years ago. the whole egg  thing is also something about art that eludes me, but the figurines represent a person kneeling down. And there were 600.000 on the sport in Palingbeek, one for each soldier or civilian that fell on Belgian soil during the Great War, whatever nationlity. 

From the 15th November, people that had partcipated by making a figure and thus "adopting" the persone it stood for would have priority on having one. In the end the field was just opened and people just took them, sometimes by the dozen (I don't condone that... and the first one that I see on a fleemarket is going to have some problems) and I had the chance of a friend securing one for me. 

M.

Edited by Marilyne

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 20:32, Marilyne said:

Let's say the rocket launcher is a bit heavy on the belt of the backpack for hundreds of km on end.... so the Sony is mostly for the marches. 

M.

Try a radio with full back up kit. A large camera is pure luxury lass! Alternatives include chucking kit on Land Rover/armoured thingy. 

As always great photos, keep them coming, 

14 hours ago, Scalyback said:

Try a radio with full back up kit.

You mean the BAMS radio packed on top of your backpack for a 20km night raid ... with weapon of course... thanks, done that! 

LOL

M.

On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 15:43, Marilyne said:

You mean the BAMS radio packed on top of your backpack for a 20km night raid ... with weapon of course... thanks, done that! 

LOL

M.

And a random brick or two hidden away by some "chums". :ph34r:

• 1 month later...
On 21/12/2018 at 20:20, Marilyne said:

Grumyness always accepted... you have a right to ask... 

The CWxRM project was launched nine years ago. the whole egg  thing is also something about art that eludes me, but the figurines represent a person kneeling down. And there were 600.000 on the sport in Palingbeek, one for each soldier or civilian that fell on Belgian soil during the Great War, whatever nationlity. 

From the 15th November, people that had partcipated by making a figure and thus "adopting" the persone it stood for would have priority on having one. In the end the field was just opened and people just took them, sometimes by the dozen (I don't condone that... and the first one that I see on a fleemarket is going to have some problems) and I had the chance of a friend securing one for me. 

M.

I visited the site and picked up two (one for each lost member of the family) and people were using washing baskets to carry loads away to their cars.

like you I hope I never see any on eBay or similar 😠